four

i've overheard my parents from time to time talking about moving at one point after my first sister, ester, was born

      i've overheard my parents from time to time talking about moving at one point after my first sister, ester, was born. maybe it had something to do with not being able to afford living in our house with two children now, or maybe it had been the state overall. i never really bothered to ask them about it since i didn't really care if we were moving or not. i didn't have close friends enough for me to not want to leave. to my friends though, me leaving was apparently a big deal.

i had only briefly mentioned to my friends that my mom and dad were thinking about moving and they had gone hysterical. i didn't really even understand why. around this time of my life i started to become a fucking pain in the ass to my parents and just flat out rude to my friends. i'm surprised they didn't throw a fucking block party with a huge banner saying "THE DOBRIK'S ARE LEAVING!!". that would have been pretty funny, actually. definitely a great story i could have told on my podcast with jason now.

my suspicion about moving was only confirmed when i overheard my parents talking to each other one day from the other room. i was in the living room with ester at the time — she was lying on her back in this sort of play mat, in my parents line of vision, of course — watching television, but what else was new. really the only reason i had even decided to eavesdrop on their conversation was because my name had been mentioned a couple of times.

"do you think david will be okay with moving?"

"i'm sure he'll be fine."

"but what about all his friends? do you think david won't want to leave because of them?"

"our boy can make as many new friends in vernon hills as he did here. i'm sure of it."

i had turned my gaze over to my little sister by now, looking down at her while she still laid on top of her play mate. her large eyes were looking right up at me as well, her mouth agape as her tiny feet and hands slightly fidgeted around, "you know, it's your fault that we're moving, right?" i said to her, as if she was able to understand me. i had noticed a bright number "6" hovering above her head, every once in awhile when her tiny hand would raise up and hit it unconventionally it would evaporate away then quickly reform. i wasn't sure what it meant at the time, but whatever it was it must have had been good since the number was not dark.

ester continued to stare at me with an agape mouth, only a small amount of drool rolling down the side of her face. a moment later a small smile tugs on her tiny lips and she giggles aloud, arms reaching up towards me as if asking to be picked up. i had narrowed my eyes at the small infant, trying not to give in to her cuteness. but there really wasn't any use to that. for some reason i've always had a weakness when it came to cute things, especially animals and kids. mostly kids.