Chapter 8: Road Trip

The next day begins differently than any previous ones. Outside is cold, almost to the point of freezing, the wind harsh and unruly, storming into her house through the open window, and there is no sun to be seen, clouds turning the sky ash-gray and depressing. A bad sign? A new beginning? Just January at its best? All of them maybe. She isn't sure, but she cares not about its meaning. It is a change and changes are always good in her mind.

"Uhm!" she moans and stretches out on the bed, arching off her back slightly like a cat would, and smiling. She's always loved the cold, or, better said, she's always loved snuggling into her comforter and falling back asleep when it was cold. A gust of wind reaches her bare arms and she shivers, the smile on her face expanding. God, it feels soo gooood! She thinks to herself. She buries deeper into the warmth of the material and turns on her side, one arm reaching out only to stumble across another body besides her own. Her fingers trace the rather heated abdomen of the man next to her as she wiggles closer to him, her belly to his side. She hides her face in the crook of his neck and inhales his scent.

"Morning, sweetheart." she hears him say in a gruff, muffled voice against the top of her blond curls. Grinning once more, she lifts herself on her elbows and looks up to him. He reciprocates the gesture and kisses her nose before letting his head connect with the pillow again, his eyes falling shut. She nuzzles his jaw, trailing her lips over his skin, kissing and nipping occasionally. Just as she's about to reach his lips though, the alarm goes off and she groans, her head falling in resignation against his chest. It rumbles with silent – or not so silent – laughter and she mock-hits it, pouting.

"Time for your road trip." he exclaims and she wants to glare so badly, but then his lips are on her own and his tongue is tracing her lower one, begging for access and she gives in, kissing him fully and unrestricted. She melts despite the cool air and freezing atmosphere, engulfed into his warmth and safety.

She pulls away, dejected, and leaps over him, balanced only on her palms, stopping to look down at him for mere seconds and before long her feet are touching the ground. She is rushing towards the bathroom, clothes in hand, giggling, not a second later. She tries her best not to dawdle on the sleepiness while inside the shower, hot, almost scalding water rushing over her freezing skin, only to step outside and make haste of her clothes before she once again turns into a Caroline-shaped icicle. She brushes her teeth in record time, washes her face even faster emerging every bit the beautiful woman she's known to be. If only the gruffness on her face would disappear and reflect her outer appearance.

"I see you are all ready, sweetheart." she hears Klaus, his voice light, but the worry threatening to spill over is present nonetheless. She lets the expression of her face morph into a seriousness never before seen on her as she steps forward and wraps her arms around his torso, her chin resting on his shoulder as she stands on her tiptoes. She feels him mimic the gesture and sigh into the wet tresses of her golden hair. She tightens her hold on him and kisses his jaw. "I'll be alright" she whispers and then she takes hold of her bag and leaves. He remains standing inside her now empty room, wondering if he'd made the right choice in letting her go. It isn't until he's in the shower that he nods to himself and realizes she doesn't need protection any more, she's strong enough now to face whatever awaits her beyond the memories.

The car almost glided across the road, the wind hitting their faces at great speed and it was harsh, unforgiving. Caroline's blond hair is slashing her cheeks and neck, whipping at her face, but she is intent on ignoring the mild pain as her excitement overrides the fear of unknown and she grins. The winter is only just beginning so the cold buries itself into her bones as she snuggles into Damon, gripping his free arm, nuzzling some warmth into her cheek. She can't help but realize she is once more acting like a cat, she giggles. If he's annoyed by this, there is no sign though. She's still pale though, worse then she has ever been, the wind and lack of blood causing her to turn white as a sheet.

Damon focuses on the road, stoic and quiet. He only presses harder on the acceleration pedal, driving like a madman one could say. She doesn't mind. This new lead could be the best yet and she can't blame him for wanting to get there right now if possible. She understands and even shares his feelings, but for another outcome. While he's in it for Bonnie, she wants to help herself. It's beyond selfish, that much she knows, but she can't face her best friend without her mind complete and that can't happen until she can remember what's happened since the rape up until she recovered. She needs the truth more than ever before.

Unconsciously, she catches herself scratching at where the scars were, with a vigour she's never witnessed in anybody. She has to will herself to stop because as second after second goes by she just continues until she can see beads of blood breaking through her jeans. Cursing herself and hoping against any hope that he doesn't see it –or smell it, since he is a vampire -, Caroline moves further into Damon.

"When do we get there?" she asks, thankful that her voice is not trembling. He takes his eyes off of the road to evaluate her as if he's forgotten who and why she was here. Maybe she'd been right before, maybe he did care for Bonnie more than either thought was possible. A blink and she recognizes the information dawn on his mind and he grunts, snapping his eyes back towards the road.

"About half an hour." he says and she can hear clearly the hard, throaty edge to the words. What's the matter with him? What had he been thinking of? She shrugs, blaming it on the cold and closes her eyes to stop the sting of the wind from hitting them. They arrive faster than predicted, the sun still not set when they enter the town though there is something odd. Not one person is outside. It isn't that cold that they had to stick inside the house until it gets warmer, it isn't like they look threatening; they probably look pathetic even, what with her clinging to Damon's side and him trembling with ever step. The adrenalin seems to have gone by now and Damon appears to have realized that rushing like that froze him stiff, well and thorough.

"Damon, something's not right here." she whispers. She feels him nod, but he says nothing. They have to be careful with anything they say, do or even hear. This town looks like a ghost and neither of them likes it. It doesn't feel safe.

Walking down the main road, they pass a house, small, covered in snow, and dark, and a shiver moves up her spine, freezing her heart in fear. What the hell was that?! She wonders and makes note to tell Damon later, when they're warm and relatively safe. They reach a motel and are glad to see that people do exist here. They are greeted by an old man, smiling sweetly and cracking jokes, that gives them a room for as long they may need it and let's them rest. Smiling gratefully, Caroline turns to thank him, but he's already gone. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, she turns and closes the door behind her, willing Damon to shower faster, she's cold too!