Chapter 1: Liz Forbes

Katherine was dead. Caroline was still in her closed off little world. And he, Damon, was lost. He didn't know what to do now, now that his final tie to his past and the one woman he'd truly loved was gone. Sure, he'd said time and again that he hated her after what she'd done to him and his- No, the thought of Stefan was too much right at this moment, he didn't need to remember the day he and his girlfriend left him here, alone and dying. If only Caroline was once again herself, she'd know what to say, or do, to ease this pain inside his chest. She was, after all, the one to save him and stay by him once his traitorous brother left him for dead. But Caroline was engulfed by darkness as each day passed and there was nothing anyone could do to bring her out of it.

Shaking his head, Damon recalled the day Klaus, the so-called heartless hybrid, left the town. It was only two weeks ago that the Original's final proverbial drop spilled over the proverbial glass as he watched the blonde beauty he'd learnt to love scratch her skin raw in the shower again. He stopped her, fought against her slaps and endured her cries of pain until the damage was repaired and she was once more under her mother's watchful eyes before he took off.

Bending, the brunette vampire picks up Katherine's grey and battered body, descends into the hole he'd dug and lays her down, softly. He takes great care in making it look natural, in making her dress cover her curves and brushes her hair back. He gets back up, and, with one last fleeting look, he begins filling the grave with earth.

Liz Forbes has had a relatively hard life, but she never knew just how difficult and painful it could be until she saw the mangled, bleeding body of her only child, of her little girl, in Klaus' arms as the hybrid cried

Liz Forbes has had a relatively hard life, but she never knew just how difficult and painful it could be until she saw the mangled, bleeding body of her only child, of her little girl, in Klaus' arms as the hybrid cried. She will never forget that night. Caroline had apparently been on a date with her boyfriend Tyler, the night had been fun and full of happiness until she told him she wanted to break up. Liz knew the kid's relationship was crumbling to pieces even before everyone else saw it, it was just not meant to be. Tyler was impulsive and rash and violent while Caroline was a dreamer, independent and sweet. Also, the two had been apart for months by the time the former werewolf turned hybrid returned and by then it was too late. Liz also guessed, before even Caroline herself, that her daughter was falling hard for Klaus. The jewellery and the dress and the ball invite had been a good start but the drawings had been the final step and before long the blond vampire was lost. Oh, if only Tyler had controlled himself, if only her sweet angel had gone straight home, if only those God damned bastards had been fewer! Or Klaus faster.

No! He isn't to blame. He did try and had he not been there, Caroline could have been worse off still! The sheriff chastised herself. Klaus had been surprisingly helpful in aiding her and her daughter after the fateful night. And even more so, in caring for them. Liz had known that the hybrid was at the very least taken with Caroline, but as time went by, the woman was assured it had long since developed into love. She also didn't blame him for leaving. He had done more than inhumanly possible to help and bring the old Caroline back, but even he had his limits. He could stand the hurt look any longer nor could he stand the reproaches and hits. Especially not after reading her letter. Her daughter had been incredibly smart. She knew who she loved and she also knew that a phone call wouldn't be enough so she sent Klaus a letter explaining all of her feelings. He'd been away on a business and wasn't due to return until far later. Her letter had brought him back at the perfect time to see her spiral into the darkness she saved him from. Fate has a very dark sense of humour he'd once confided in Liz, his body looked tired and his eyes haunted as they sat at her kitchen table and drank a cup of coffee. She remembered nodding and sipping the black liquid as he stared off into nothing.

"Liz!?" she jumped and spun around to face Damon. He had been helping them as well, as much as he could after Caroline healed his broken spirit and mended his physical wounds. He felt as if he owed the 'Blondie' so he did what he could. He usually cooked and cleaned the mess, occasionally looking after the girl in question. As they were forced to work together, Klaus and Damon had developed an odd friendship over their mutual care for her daughter. Liz was glad at least one good thing had resulted from this horrible situation.

"Damon..." she began uncertain. "What's wrong?! Why are you covered in blood?!" her voice took a louder tone at the sight of him. However, despite the obvious clues, she had come to the conclusion something bad had happened at the look in his eyes. They had never seemed so lost and full of anguish as they did now.

She ignored his "I'm fine" retort and dragged him to the bathroom. She stripped him of his clothes and led him to the shower, instructing him to clean up as one would a child. If he heard her she could know as he gave no indication as she rushed to get some clothes for him. She left them on the sink counter and returned to the kitchen to prepare a cup of tea. She waited and waited for him but an hour passed and then another and a feeling in her gut told her to check on him so she did. She found him in the same position she'd left him in. Standing in the spray of water, now gone cold, staring into space. She rushed and took a large 'fluffy' towel, her daughters favourite before this whole mess, and enveloped him n it, pulling him outside. She let him into her bedroom, all the while rubbing up and down his arms. She began drying him off and her heart stopped for a second as she felt his skin as cold as ice as well as its blue-purple colour. She felt like he was her child as well so she took great care in warming him up and dressing him. Once that was finished, Liz led him to the kitchen and pushed the steaming cup of tea in his hands.

"Damon...Damon!" she screamed and his head snapped in her direction. She saw his brow furrow and his face contort into a frown of confusion.

"Liz? What's going on? How... how did I get here?!" She shook her head. She had no idea what had happened to bring him here.

"What do you remember?"

"I... Oh God! Katherine!" he jumped to his feet, shaking the table and spilling a few drops of the hot liquid onto the wood as he began pacing in an agitated manor. It was her time to frown now. Straining her human ears to catch what he was muttering she managed to catch "Katherine" "damn" "blood" and "dead". It didn't take a genius to piece it so Liz immediately guessed that Katherine Pierce was now dead and that her death had affected Damon more than anyone would know.

"Damon... hey!" she took his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She got up and threw her arms around him. As she felt him reciprocate, she also heard the broken sob that was ripped from his throat. Finally he cried.