Chapter 2: Klaus Mikaelson

Well, you're all about to find out what happened to Caroline, aren't you curious? Tell me what you think about this chapter ;)

Once he calmed down enough to explain, the two resumed their tea and debated what could now be done. Damon had let the usual wall surround him again, making his emotions perfectly – well, almost, for Liz already knew what she should look for in him – masked. After having known him for 2 years, she'd learned, as time went by, to read him even when no other could. As she listen to him tell his story, she took into account the minuscule clench of him hand on the cup, or the haunted look in his eyes, or the low tone of his voice. It was easy to pinpoint his heartache in this manor, he'd never been one to think rationally, he always followed his instincts. They were, after all, what led him back home. His love for ... Katherine.

"So what should we do? Should I try to find whoever killed her, or should I ... rejoice?"

She waited for him to be attentive before she told him what she thought. "I think you have to try and find them. You... owe it to yourself. Damon, I know you think she deserved it, but you need this closure." She saw him nod, but she would never know what he was going to say as she heard Caroline bang the wall her head had been propped against. She rose to her feet and rushed to her daughter's room.

"Caroline... sweetie? Are you alright? " Of course there was no answer, there hadn't been one in months, but she had hope still. Slowly, as to not scare the volatile girl away, Liz approached the bedside and cautiously slid a pillow behind the vampire's head. She could see the new stains of blood on the concrete and the gash forming in it. Despite the obvious lack of focus in her daughter, her strength and speed had increased with the loss of control. Vaguely, Liz registered Damon's presence inside the chamber, but it wasn't until she felt Caroline's fangs pierce the skin of her arm that she truly saw him. He was fast enough to pull her back before Caroline could do any real damage, but the beat of her heart still jumped and the vampire renewed her struggle against the bonds that kept her from hurting either herself or others.

Sometime after this episode, Liz remembers Damon feeding Caroline a blood bag, but she's too focused on the always returning thought of getting rid of the chains that hold the blonde girl tied to the bed. She is her mother so the sight of her daughter in chains can only worsen her heartache. Closing her eyes to the sound of Damon's voice whispering in the other room, Liz recalls Caroline's last aware moment. She had been spiraling into the never ending darkness that seemed to follow vampires all around the world when the girl grabbed the sheriff's arm to pull her down to her level. Liz flinched but went without question.

"Mum, tie me up, I think this is the last power I have left to spare." she had said before succubing to sleep. Liz had dismissed her words for the moment as Klaus came to take Caroline's hand in his and kissed her knuckles, but, by the next morning, Caroline was gone. Her mind had been taken over by the vampire inside, ruled by blood-lust and instinct. Had Klaus not been there, the girl would have drained half of Mystic Falls and then some before Damon could have caught her.

Liz recalled the reaction to her suggestion. Klaus' scream of "Have you gone mad?!", Damon's disbelieving stare and, before Bonnie fell in a coma due to the brain injury of being slammed into a wall by Caroline, the witch's temper flaring and making the lights flicker before they exploded. The thought of Bonnie still hurt Liz, she should have been more careful so that it never happened, yet she hadn't. She was still unsure why vampire blood had failed to awaken the witch, but maybe she'll never know. All that remained was a comatose Bonnie Bennett, a missing Klaus, a hurting Damon ... and herself.

"Liz... I'm off. I want to check out the place I found Katherine in before it's too late. Can you..." he trailed off, knowing the woman understood. She nodded and got up to check on her sleeping daughter. How long would it be before she awoke again? Will she ever? The last question gave her shivers, but it was an option nevertheless. Maybe this was a healing attempt, she wondered when the front door closed with a quiet click and she was once again alone with her absent-minded daughter. Never in her life had she thought it could be possible, but she'd been wrong before, so why not this time as well?

 Never in her life had she thought it could be possible, but she'd been wrong before, so why not this time as well?

Klaus Mikealson had always been led by his emotions and ambition, well, that is until he met her. Caroline Forbes. The new vampire had somehow crawled under his skin and latched herself there, filling him with her light and joy for life and, before he knew it, he'd fallen. He'd done what he'd sworn to never do again since what happen with Tatia, he'd fallen in love.

The road was dark and empty, the street lights barely making a difference to normal people, but he was not normal. He was a hybrid and thus he needn't them, but he couldn't not be reminded of what awaited him upon return. The desolate and eerie atmosphere was no more then a heads-up to what was yet to come. He'd been gone for two weeks now, yet somehow he knew nothing had changed, well, nothing significant. Caroline, his beautiful, strong Caroline would still be lost and chained to that damnable bed when he returned and there was no way, that he knew of, to remedy that.

Sometimes, as he closed his eyes, he could hear her laughter, or see her smile brighten the room, but then he'd open them again and she'd still be gone, trapped inside the deepest recesses of her mind in a desperate attempt to ignore reality. He felt rage swell up inside every time he thought back on that night. He'd been so, so happy when he'd read her letter. When his eyes traced those wonderful words she'd written for him that he rushed immediately back to the dreary Mystic Falls to see her. What he hadn't, in another thousand years, thought could happen was what welcomed him. As he neared her house, he heard screams. Usually he would have ignored the infernal noise, but this time was different. The agonized yells for help were hers and he needed to move faster. He left the car in the middle of the road and ran to the place they were coming from.

What awaited him there was nothing short of tragedy. His Caroline was held down and beaten by a man while two others were... He couldn't think about that now, the steering wheel already developed bumps from holding it too tightly. He had killed the two easily, they were wretched humans after all, but the other one... he'd escaped. Klaus wasn't sure what the man had been, but there was nothing human about him, except the outer shell. The bastard had escaped and for the life of him, Klaus couldn't find him!

"Fuck!" he spat as he punched the board of the car. How could this happen, no one eluded him! No one! A screeching sound caught his attention as a truck almost hit him. He steered right and avoided the crash, his mind redirected briefly from the trauma usually haunting it. He wished the young vampire hadn't changed him so. If he were still the harden man he had been when he first returned to Mystic Falls, then this would have been easier, but he wasn't. She had changed that and by doing so, him. He no longer cared about his hybrids or his mother's betrayal, he was now too focused on making her better again. On returning her light. He needed her back even if he were to relinquish his own life.

"Oh, sweetheart... what could you possibly be experiencing inside your mind to keep you away for so long? Is it that much better than reality?" but despite this, Klaus knew the truth. Anything was better than her reality, anything was better than waking up as a rape victim.