Chapter Two: The Lady of Luck

Alistair Mayweather

Alistair headed towards HQ, the tall glass building with the Angel Wings logo proudly splashed across the top; smack dab in the middle of the busy city, like a glimmering jewel. He always headed there first when going out on patrol alone, to receive orders, since Quake usually got them and just texted Alistair where to meet; he'd have to get in touch with his and Quake's handler, Jean Russel.

The building was built kind of like a birdhouse, with holes in the middle of the building for people, who could fly, to land and take off as they please. There were also tunnels under the city that lead from HQ to undisclosed locations. It was so that any heroes that wanted to keep their identity secret could fly or use the tunnels so that they didn't have to go through the main entrance and risk being swarmed by a mob of fans.

Alistair landed on the larger landing platform, Jean was already there and waiting for him, looking annoyed, as always. She was a tall and slender woman with almost endless black hair that only made her look gloomy if she let it lose; though, usually she had it tied up in complex and neat buns. She had brown eyes but were so dark the color was almost lost unless the light hit them just right, then it was like a fire had ignited within.

She was beautiful in a plain way. Just like his girlfriend Penny.

"You're late." Jean scolded on the other side of the queue as Alistair waved his ID card through the scanner that beeped and opened the queue gate for him.

"I had to get my schedule sorted out with Lukas." Alistair didn't use his brother's nickname unless he was talking to him, it didn't feel right otherwise.

"I've told you before to go over it monthly if not weekly. But no, you wait till you can't go to something to ask him to do it." Jean continued to scold.

"You know I'm bad at planning ahead like that." Alistair waved her complaints away.

"Then have Rose sit down with you two," Jean said while they walked through the busy halls. "She is your secretary for a reason."

"Josh keeps her busy with his stuff," Alistair argued. They walked by a retired hero speaking to two younger kids. This branch of the Angel Wings specialized in training new heroes which meant there were more sidekicks and heroes-in-training then you could shake a stick at. Alistair was proud to say he was The Sidekick of the territory. This was his stomping ground, soon all these recruits would be gone off to other places. Though if Quake got his way and left to New Orleans then he'd lose that title as if it meant nothing. Luki would say it didn't but the way the two younger kid's attentions snapped over to him as he passed gave him a cheap thrill but one he loved anyway and would be sad to give up.

"Rosemary can handle sitting down and writing on a calendar once a month because two boys her age are too lazy to do it themselves," Jean sighed. Alistair shrugged and pushed the call button for the elevator.

"Wouldn't it be bad if I put my schedule on paper? What if a super villain got a hold of it? They'd know when I'm not on patrol." Alistair offered on the end of a yawn.

"There is a hero on patrol almost all the time, just because you're the lead sidekick doesn't mean the city isn't protected when your off duty. Not to mention the thousands of cops." Jean rolled her eyes, Alistair caught it but said nothing. They got into the elevator and were silent until they got to the top floor, lovingly named, The Nest.

"Are you trying to tell me something?" Alistair smirked as Jean sighed that tired mom sigh of hers. They exited the elevator and headed over to the map table. A giant round table showing a detailed holographic view of the city and its surrounding area. Covered in colored dots and hovering notes above points of interest.