Chapter Six: Trading Card Idols

Lukas Mayweather

Monday came around and after school the boys were at the labs for another checkup for Alistair's head and then to say goodbye to Josh. While they waited for the doctor to come back and release them, they talked.

"I can't wait to be put back on active duty. All I ever wanted to do was be a hero..." Alistair sighed out and looked down at his hands, sparks crackled between his fingers. "What would I do with my powers... my training...?"

"Plenty of supers use their powers outside of law enforcement." Lukas said as he stretched out his long legs out in front of him and leaned back in the plastic chair that squeaked under the shift of his weight. "You could work at a power station, be the most efficient converter in the world." He shrugged and tossed his brother another hard candy rolled up in red wax paper.

"I don't want to work for a power company." He complained as he caught the candy in a static field and levitated it for a moment, the wrapper pulling away from the candy and then dropped into his hand. "Do you think this place is bugged?" Alistair popped the candy into his mouth, his teeth clicking against the hardened sugar.

"I doubt it, it's a clinic room. It will kind of loose the privacy factor with hidden recorders... Why?" Lukas absentmindedly toyed with a green colored candy.

"Well... I have something I need to tell you, but... I don't want record of it..."

"Oh, you can't stop there, what the fuck?" Lukas sat up straighter in his chair.

"Seriously, Luki," Alistair rolled his eyes.

"Come on, the place isn't bugged. Fess up." Lukas persisted and frowned when Alistair just bit his lip, looking guilty. "...Are you actually a mole for Sefarious?"

"No! I'm trying to be serious here." Alistair snapped. Lukas laughed as there was a knock on the door before it opened, and a nurse poked her head in; by then the boys had schooled their features and looked over to her.

"You're free to go," She announced as she propped the door open, took the clip board sitting in the basket attached the the wall by the door and then walked away without further comment. The boys collected their trash and tossed it before heading out into the hallways, making their way to the elevators, and since they had a lift all to themselves and as soon as the doors were closed Lukas looked over to his brother with a purposeful smile and an expectant stare; but Alistair ignored him instead looking out the windowed glass that has an amazing view of the city below them. As they exited on the floor Lukas grabbed his brother and pulled him aside.

"Let me see your guts," Lukas ordered.

"Gross."

"Alistair, if we are being recorded right now it's just video. We're just two brothers talking and enjoying the view." Lukas motioned to the window as he spoke and then crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"I lied... about..." He took in a breath and continued unprompted, "Miss. Fortune earlier... I saw her face, after I knocked her down. I turned around to handcuff her and..." He paused once again; his jaw clenching shut. Lukas nudged him when he just stopped there.

"Then she got away and that was the last time I saw even a glimpse of her... But like, she had gold paint across her face. It wasn't exactly a mask, at least, not a good one up close."

"But then... You can ID Miss. Fortune?"

"I broke the rules just by looking at her cause she had such a piss poor mask on. I think she thinks she's that powerful that she doesn't need one... At least I think she's just that powerful. I felt like I couldn't turn fast enough, like I was chasing my shadow."