Can't Handle Your Love - Part 2 [End]

I'm sorry that this took so long to get up and it didn't really come out as I expected. I'm not sure about how I feel about this one. I haven't been very confident about my writing lately. Just saying that I love happy endings (as I've said before) so you probably know what to expect. I'm sorry if this has cliché lines and plot features (which it does); I'm a sucker for them.

Enjoy!

(A little shameless self-advertising: My story "Underlying Truths" is nominated for Most Popular Mystery/Suspense of the Watty Awards. If you haven't read it, please give it a read and VOTE if you like the story! Thanks a bunch!)

------------------------------------------------

Can't Handle Your Love - Part 2 [End]

The bright strobe lights in the dark room were pulsing. The music was pounding through the speakers. The black tiles of the shiny flooring were almost impossible to see due to the amount of people on the dance floor.

I peeled my eyes off the packed dance floor and back to the bartender currently handing me the drinks I had ordered. For the first time in what seemed like so long, I was in front the bar instead of behind it. I smiled lightly at the man who handed me the tall glasses before grabbing my order and beginning to make my way back to the booth that I was sharing with a few friends for the night.

"Coming through!" I yelled into the crowd as I weaved my way through packed bodies.

Having just graduated hours before, I had never felt freer. For once, there were no obligations that were creeping up on me right around the corner or impeding beginnings to another school year. I was finished. Unless, of course, I decide to pursue a higher degree. I felt carefree and liberated.

I set down the drinks that I had just purchased onto the table before finding a seat on the black leather couch. I pulled my short blue-sequined dress down as far as it could go considering that it rode up whenever I took a seat. My friends were all tipsy and on the verge of being completely drunk and I laughed in amusement at their current states. Regardless of the fact that I should be getting drunk with them, tonight was definitely an alcohol-free night for me.

"Hey, Riley?" my friend, Amanda, slurred. "Weren't you supposed to meet up with him today?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked her while taking a sip of my drink.

"What's his name?" she asked herself with a giggle. "Jon?"

I nearly spat out my drink.

"Uhhh," I stalled. "It wasn't really decided that we'd meet up today. It was just one of those things that you throw at the wind."

I saw Amanda shrug at me and go back at talking to some boy she had picked up on the dance floor earlier tonight.

"I thought it was pretty much clear that I'd come looking for you today," a deep voice opposed from above me.

Slowly, my head tilted back to look at the person who had just spoken. From my seat in the booth, I craned my neck to look up at his tall stature.

"H--How did you find me?" I stuttered.

Truly, I didn't care. I just needed something to distract me from the rush of emotions that flooded my being at the realization that he did, in fact, love me as much as he had claimed all those months ago and that he still does now. Hence, he came looking for me at the exact day I'd promised to give what we had another shot.

He gave me a small smile and jerked his head towards the door of the busy club. I stared at him a bit wide-eyed, not sure of whether to take his silent invitation or not. After a few seconds, I sighed and stood up, making sure to grab my clutch and to bid my friends goodbye, knowing that I probably wouldn't be returning to rejoin the party. It would be an understatement to say that I was surprised when Jonathan grabbed my hand halfway to the door. I let the action slide without questioning, reveling in the warmth that settled within me from the simple gesture.

As we stepped out of the club and into the cool air of the night, I gave his a hand a squeeze and a tug. Getting the hint, he halted his brisk walk and turned to give me a questioning glance. I couldn't help myself as my eyes raked over his body. Dressed in a simple white button-down, black pants, and black shoes, I could have sworn that he had never looked as casual and formal at the same time.

"Where are we going?" I asked him, my apprehension for what was to come apparent.

"I'm begging you, Riley," he said. "Just give me one night to do things my way."

I stared into his eyes hesitantly.

"Please," he whispered out in earnest.

I saw the desire and determination to achieve something tonight in his eyes causing me to nod in agreement to his request. A glimmer of hope ignited in his eyes as a smile that graced his face. That smile alone caused my own to break out across my lips.

In an instant, he broke out into a jog to his car, dragging me along with him. I laughed loudly at his enthusiasm. This part of his personality was one that made me fall so in love with him in the first place. At times, he was just so unpredictable and spontaneous as he came up with plans at a moment's notice. He loved to drag me from place to place. Other times, however, he enjoyed just lounging around and being as lazy as possible. Those characteristics always led me to enjoy every moment I spent with him.

Soon we found ourselves in his car and weaving our way through the busy streets of Chicago. His right hand held my left, having kept them connected since he first grabbed my hand back at the club.

"Tonight's when we start over, right?" he whispered out as he pulled up to the front of where he lived.

He got out of the car before receiving an answer and hurriedly made his way to my door. Opening it for me and helping me out (despite the lack of need for the action), he began leading me into his home.

His home used to be a place I found myself practically living in during our time together. Our relationship had been as close to perfection as they came. We had our disagreements, our fights, our arguments, and our disputes, but we always resolved them somehow. Our relationship, while it lasted, had been completely ideal.

In the end, though, I couldn't handle it. Love, in the form that Jon and I had shared, is meant to be experienced at the right time. Back then hadn't been the right time for me. Though what we had given me immense joy and happiness, it slowly and silently caused everything else in my life outside our relationship to fall apart. So, doing what was best for me, I ended the relationship, hoping that if we were truly meant to be, we'd find our way back into each other's arms.

As Jon and I sat on his couch, I knew that my hopes had become realities. In his arms did I find myself wrapped in and in his heart did he give me a place to belong.

We talked well into the night, knowing that tonight was the new beginning of something that we knew had the potential to last forever. The clock illuminated the time of 1am when Jon finally stood up from our comfortable position and pulled me up with him. His hands, which were wrapped tightly around both of mine, began leading me to his bedroom, his unasked question thickening the air around us.

"Stay with me tonight?"

I smiled widely at him.

"I'll stay for as many nights as you'll have me," I replied quietly.

"You know that you just signed up for forever, right?" he asked with a smirk.

I gave him a mere shrug because, this time around, I knew that I could handle his love.