Tonight

One-shot time! I've been feeling bitter lately because school starts next week. BLEH. So here's a little projection of my feelings....haha.

This is my latest one-shot titled, "Tonight," and is inspired by the song "99 Times" by Kate Voegele. (Give it a listen! :D)

Nonetheless, ENJOY! :)

I stood at his doorstep, my fist quivering as I held it above his wooden door. Just hours ago, I had left this very place after so much yelling and tears. I swore that I'd never come back again after I had crossed the threshold on the way out. I had ran to a nearby café before finding myself back at my own apartment, a place that I spent few nights at since our relationship began.

When he called only fifteen minutes ago, my head was sent spinning. My mind told me to ignore him and his words. It told me to disregard his promises of a him this time around. It begged me to see through his transparent words, but my broken heart clearly won that battle. In what seemed to be seconds, I found myself at his doorstep once again.

Taking a deep breath, I finally mustered the nerve and knocked on his door. Ages seemed to pass before it flew open and Nick came into view. The top buttons of his shirt were undone and his belt hung from his jeans loosely. If I had used my brain and pieced it all together, it would definitely look like he was getting ready for a night out.

I tilted my head to the side, my puffy, red eyes raking over his appearance.

"Are you on your way out?" I whispered out. Did he forget that he had called me to come over and hopefully work things out?

His head darted from side to side, a clear indication that he was stalling for time to think. He cleared his throat before opening his mouth.

"Uh, no," he replied. "I was actually on my way to see you."

His last sentence came out more like a question than a statement. However, my heart was blocking all sense of perception. The wails of my broken, hopeful heart were blinding me from the small things that would tick me off and tell me that he was lying.

"Well, can I come in?" I asked tentatively, as my arms crossed over my chest as I tried to hold myself together.

He nodded eagerly, opening his front door wider and allowing me to pass. I walked deeper into his home, a place that had essentially become mine in the duration of our relationship. I had never moved in, yet I found myself spending more nights at his place than my own. Every time I came over, I found myself with an overnight bag slung over my shoulder and a yearning for the comfort of his bed.

Closing the door behind me, he followed me to the couch where I sat on one end of the comfy, leather-covered piece of furniture while he sat beside me. His whole body was turned to face mine as his hands reached for my own. I let him grasp both of my own smaller ones into his as he gripped them tightly.

"I'm sorry that I didn't stay faithful," he began as my watery eyes met his. "There's not a doubt in my mind that my actions were vile and disgusting. I deserve nothing more than to lose you, but I'm not willing to give up so easily. Becca, I swear, I'm done with all that. I'm done fooling around and not being able to appreciate what I have waiting for me at home. I'm done with playing with your heart and I'm done with playing games. I'm so sorry, Becs."

I nodded lamely at his words. Had I not been so blind at that moment, I would have spotted all the lies. His hands were loosening, his eyes didn't focus on mine, and his eyes were frequently darting to the clock.

"Nick, you can't do this to me again," I said in a pleading tone.

"I won't, baby," he promised as he pulled me into him. "I won't."