Chapter 6: The Weird and the Strange

This was weird- right now.

While I tried to sit still on the edge of a hospital bed, I did my best not to stare. Well... at least do something to make my staring less obvious.

But considering how close the guy actually was to me? That was fudging impossible!

I took in his features as he sat in front of me, nimble fingers working with quick precision.

He looked like he was in his early twenties. Twenty two, I figured- maybe even younger.

His dark copper hair was somewhat shaggy with a slight wave to the strands. He had a pale, alabaster complexion. Not completely flawless. There was a line running from his mid-forearm to past his elbow- a scar. The beginnings of another peeked just above the white fabric of his collar.

I wonder where he got those?

What really got my eyes glued to him was something I never expected to see. Well, at least not in this dimension.

The determined expression on his face made his brows furrow in serious concentration- a focused look blazing in his eyes.

Kind eyes.

Brown eyes.

Warm, honey brown colored eyes that-

A sudden growl rolled out from behind me, making those light brown orbs meet mine for one heart-stopping moment, before turning to look at the door.

"Hey, Barri-" he began, before pausing abruptly, "Uhmm- Bard." The male nurse who had been trying to help me get the fudging caulking putty out of the cuts on my hands corrected himself as he stood up. A simple annoyed grunt was the only reply to his greeting.

"Wait!" The nurse called out as he shot across the room. When I turned around, all I saw was the heel of a black shoe as it disappeared around the corner. The first person replaced by the doctor who was attending to me.

"Is there anything wrong, officer Bard?" Her question was directed at someone I couldn't see.

"Nothing." The reply was deep and monotonous as it drifted through the doorway. I could detect the irritated growl in the tone.

I don't know if it was just my exhaustion making me hear things, but for a moment it sounded like the growl blended into an almost tired… what?…sigh? I mentally scoffed at the idea.

"Long shift?" The doctor's expression turned sympathetic. Her hand reached out, but immediately flinched back like she had just stuck her hand too close to a fire. Then I heard the sound of footsteps moving briskly down the hallway.

Aft.

The next few moments after that were awkward.

The doctor stood stunned at first, glued to her place in front of the doorway, then she furiously scribbled away at the papers on her clipboard. An embarrassed expression was plastered on her flustered face.

The nurse was quiet, not really knowing what to do with his superior blocking his path to the other man who had just left.

And then there was me. Sitting on the pale blue sheets in a thin hospital gown.

It took a few minutes before there was a break in the silence.

"Uhmmm... Doctor Patton?" The nurse started hesitantly.

Doctor Patton looked up from her work at her subordinate for two seconds before-

Smack!