Chapter 5;

Albeit the blazing heat, Darla didn't want me to to style my hair up to let the back of my neck get some air. Apparently, she believed that men liked my hair that way. But it was so damn hot outside. I took an ice cube from the cooling container, rubbed it against my neck and let it slide into my shirt after. For the third time today, I had been on my way to the 15th hole of the golf court.

When I had left my room this morning, the whole house had been silent. The used plates had still been on the kitchen counter. I had thrown away the food in the pot that Zayn had left there the whole night. What a waste. It had smelled so good!

After that I had moved aside the opened wine bottle and discovered the empty glasses on the veranda table, next to where Zayn had bedded the stranger. After I had put the dirty dishes into the dishwasher, I had turned it on and wiped clean the countertop and hotplate.

Zayn probably wouldn't even notice, but after all I was allowed to live here, and I felt better that way.

I came to a stop at the 15th hole, next to a group of younger golfers who I had already come across at the third hole. They had bought a lot of drinks and tipped really well. Hence, I put up with the pick-up lines. It wasn't like they were actually wanting to date the guy from the beverage service.

"There he is," one of them called as I got out smiling. "My favourite waiter is back again. Man, this sweltering heat today! I need a cold beer. Or two!" He winked at me.

"A Miller again?" I asked the guy, proud that I remembered his last order.

I wanted to walk behind the cart to serve them when he crowded up to me unpleasantly. "Yes, baby, that's right."

"Hey, Jace, I'd like something too. Distance yourself," a different guy warned him. Still smiling, I handed Jace his beer and he gave me a twenty-dollar-bill. "Keep the change."

"Thank you," I replied and put the money into my pocket. I looked up at the others. "Who's next, please?"

"I am," a guy with blond curly hair and pretty blue eyes said.

"You had a Corona, right?" I grabbed into the cooling container and took one out.

"I think I just lost my heart!" The blond one said. "This dream man remembered which beer brand I drink. And then he even opens it up for me!" He was just joking, I knew that. He handed me a banknote and grabbed the beer bottle. "The rest is yours, pretty boy."

As I put the bill into my pocket I noticed that it was a fifty-dollar-bill. These guys really were big spenders. Tips like these were unreasonably high. I wanted to point it out to him, but decided against it. Maybe this was just the way to do it here.

"What's your name, by the way?" someone behind me asked. When I turned around, I was face to face with a handsome dark-haired young man with an olive complexion. He had ordered a beer brand with a name I couldn't pronounce.

"Niall." I grabbed into the cooling container, took a hold of his beer, opened it and handed it to him.

"Do you have a boyfriend, Niall?" He took the bottle and ran a soft finger over my hand while doing so.

"Uh, no." Should I have lied? The guy took a step closer and held out the money for me. "I'm Woods."

"Nice to, uh, meet you, Woods," I stammered. His strong glance made me nervous. He could become a threat to me, I could sense it. He belonged to the rich and beautiful—and one could notice it right away, and he knew that as well. Was I deceiving myself or was he hitting on me?

"That's not fair, Woods. Don't go so hard. You think only 'cause your daddy's the owner of this club you get to have a home-turf advantage!" The curly blond joked.