Chapter 4 : Names

Chapter 4

Later...

Rocky POV

Tonight had gone pretty smoothly. Riker eats pretty well, but uses his hands, which mom said was fine.

I got him changed for bed, and then we both got in my bed. He likes to be in my bed. And he fell asleep quickly.

Later...

Rocky POV

"Rocky. Rocky! Rocky!"

My eyes snapped open and I turned the light on.

"Rocky."

I realized Riker was saying my name.

"What's wrong, Rik?"

"Rocky."

"What?"

He rubbed his forehead.

"You have another headache?"

"Rocky."

"Does it hurt?"

He wrapped his arms around me and buried his head in my chest.

"It's ok. Mom said you might get a lot of headaches because of the car accident. I can get you some medicine."

I took his hand and brought him to the bathroom. I got him medicine just like I did the other night, and he drank it.

"Rocky."

"What, Rik?"

He hugged me.

"Aw... Let's go to bed, ok?"

I brought him back to our room, and he crawled into bed. I got in beside him.

"Rocky."

I looked at him. I don't know where he got my name from. Maybe he remembered it.

I shut the light off and laid down beside him. He curled into me.

"Goodnight, Rik."

"Rocky."

Morning...

Rocky POV

"Kids! Breakfast!" Mom called.

I shook Riker because he didn't wake up.

"Rocky..."

"It's time for breakfast, Rik."

I picked him up because he seemed really tired. I brought him downstairs and put him down in a chair.

"Good morning, boys," mom said.

"Mom, guess what?" I asked.

"What, Rocky?"

"He knows my name."

Mom looked at me, confused.

"Rik, show her," I said, looking at him.

"Rocky."

"See?" I asked.

"Did you teach him that?" Dad asked.

"No. I woke up last night because he kept saying my name."

"Rocky!"

"That's all he can say though. Just my name."

"That's good though. Maybe he's remembering stuff," mom said.

"I hope so..." I said, looking at my brother.

Later...

Rocky POV

Riker and I had been watching movies all day since mom still wanted him to rest. He's been laying with his head in my lap for a while now.

All of a sudden, Riker got up and started walking towards the kitchen. I got up to follow him because I thought maybe he was hungry like he was yesterday. But I was wrong. He went straight to mom, who was working on cooking dinner.

"Mom!"

Riker wrapped his arms around her.

"You know my name now!"

I wonder if he's going to remember anybody else.

"Rocky, did you teach him that?" Mom asked.

"No. He must be remembering."

Riker walked back over to me.

"Rocky!"

I hugged him. I'm really proud of his progress. He remembered how to say 2 of our names today.

"Come on. Let's go watch the rest of that movie before dinner," I said, putting my arm around him to lead him back.

Later...

Rocky POV

Riker hasn't remembered any more names. I thought he might remember dad, but he hasn't. He just says mom's and my name. But that's ok. It's still progress.

I got Riker changed for bed, but he didn't seem to want to go to bed tonight. I tried to put him in my bed, but he would just struggle with me and try to leave the room. I got tired of struggling with him, so I just let him go wherever he wanted to.

"Rocky! Riker's supposed to be in bed!" Mom called.

"He won't stay in bed!" I called back.

A minute later, mom walked in, holding Riker's arm.

"It's time for bed, Riker," mom said, pushing him forward.

Riker whined, and didn't want to move. So I took both his hands and pulled him into bed beside me.

"What if he won't stay?" I asked.

"Just make him stay, Rocky. He'll give up eventually."

"Fine."

Mom left. Riker had his arms crossed and he was glaring at me.

"It's time for bed."

I tried to make him lay down, but he hit me really hard and ran out of the room.

"Mom! Riker just hit me and ran out!" I yelled, becoming really annoyed.

"Riker! We do not hit!" I heard mom yell.

A minute later, she brought Riker back.

"You need to behave and do as Rocky says, or you're going to be in big trouble," mom said, making him get back into my bed.

"Why do you think he keeps trying to leave?" I asked.

"I don't know. Did you change his diaper before you got him changed for bed?"

"Yeah. It's not that."

"Maybe he's just not tired and doesn't feel like sleeping. It could just be as simple as that."

"Yeah, maybe."

"If he runs out again, I'll get your father to deal with him. Goodnight, you two."

I looked Riker in the eyes.

"Don't you dare hit me again. And if you even try anything, you're going to have to deal with dad. Remember him? He's scary when you don't obey."

Riker looked down at the blankets. I feel like he can understand what's happening. Or at least understand that he's about to be in trouble.

"We're going to lay down and go to bed now."

I shut the lights off and laid down beside Riker. He was still sitting up, so I grabbed his shoulders and laid him down beside me. I thought for sure he was going to get up again, but instead, he curled up and buried his face in my chest. So I put my arm around him and started rubbing his back.