Chapter 3 : Headache

Chapter 3

Later...

Rocky POV

I woke up to find Riker moving around a ton beside me. So I turned the light on next to our bed. He was sitting up, rubbing his forehead. And the expression on his face told me that he was in pain.

I sat up beside him. He looked up at me and started to cry.

"Don't cry, Riker. Does your head hurt?"

He buried his head in his hands. I'll take that as a yes.

I picked him up in my arms and took him to the bathroom. I opened the medicine cabinet, and then thought for a second. I don't think giving him pills would be very safe. So we're going to have to go with the liquid medicine.

I poured some into a small cup and then made Riker stand next to the sink in case he spilled it. I carefully gave him the cup. He stared at it, looking confused. And I realized he probably couldn't see because he didn't have his glasses. So I took the cup of medicine back and then gently brought it to his lips. He took a sip and made a face at me.

"I know it's gross. But you have to drink it if you want to feel better."

I made him drink the rest, which he hated, but he cooperated. And then I brought him back to our room. He climbed into my bed again. I'm not sure he even realizes the other bed is his.

I sat down beside him. He's practically wide awake. So I put his glasses on him so he could at least see a bit better.

His eyes focused on something, and then he reached for my pick necklace. He started playing with it. I realized they'd taken his off at the hospital.

I got up and went in his bag from the hospital and found his necklace. I put it over his head, and he was immediately fascinated with it.

"Rik, you think maybe we can go back to sleep?"

He looked up at me.

"Let's go back to sleep. You can cuddle with me."

I shut the light off and laid down with Riker in my arms. He settled down, and I'm pretty sure we both fell asleep.

Morning...

Rocky POV

"Wake up. Time for breakfast."

My eyes snapped open. I saw mom standing next to the bed.

"Did you guys sleep well?"

"Yeah, kind of," I said, sitting up.

"You let Riker sleep in your bed?"

"That's where he wanted to be, so I figured I'd just let him."

"That's nice, Rocky. Change him before you come down for breakfast, ok?"

"Ok."

I looked down at Riker, who was still fast asleep on my pillow. And he had one hand on his pick necklace. I think he really likes it. Or maybe he remembers it. I'm not sure.

"Wake up, Riker."

I shook his shoulder gently. He opened his eyes slowly. He looks really tired.

"Let's go get breakfast. Are you hungry?"

I put his glasses on his face for him. 

"Let's go to the bathroom and then we can get breakfast, ok?"

I took his hand and led him to the bathroom. I got him changed and cleaned up, and then I brought him downstairs. I put him in a chair and sat next to him like yesterday.

"Has he improved or anything yet?" Ross asked.

"Um... I don't know. He was kind of scared of the stairs at first. But he isn't anymore. And I think he had a headache last night, so I got him to drink some medicine. I don't know if he's improving though."

"He really drank the medicine?" Dad asked.

"Yeah. I had to hold the cup to his mouth. He took a sip of it and made a face, but he eventually drank it all."

"How did you know he had a headache?" Mom asked.

"The way he was acting. He kept rubbing his forehead with his hands and he started crying."

Mom had made eggs and bacon for breakfast, so I put some eggs and bacon on mine and Riker's plates. I stabbed a piece of egg with Riker's fork and handed the fork to him. He ate it, but then dropped the fork and started eating with his hands again like last night.

"Should we let him eat like that?" I asked.

"It's fine for now, Rocky. At least he's eating," mom said.

Riker ended up eating all of his breakfast. So I gave him a few more pieces of bacon, which he ate too. And then I kind of regretted it because I realized I'm going to be the one cleaning that up when it comes out of him. I'm not thrilled.

"Rocky, help him wash his hands," mom said.

I helped Riker wash his hands again like last night.

"What are we doing today?" I asked.

"You and Riker are relaxing. I want you to either keep him in bed or on the couch. He needs rest for a few days," mom said.

"Ok. We can just watch movies and stuff."

I took Riker to the living room and sat down on the couch. I put on another Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Riker laid down with his head in my lap, watching the movie. I started rubbing his back, hoping maybe he'd go to sleep. He just seems really tired.

Within a few minutes, I heard his soft snores and I knew he was back asleep.

Later...

Rocky POV

"How long has he been asleep?" Mom asked, walking over to us.

"A few hours. I need to use the bathroom, but he's on top of me."

"Why don't you wake him up and see if he needs changed?"

"Ok."

I gently shook Riker. He woke up, and I picked him up. I brought him to the bathroom upstairs. I used the bathroom and then changed him. 

I brought him back downstairs to the couch. 

"Mom?" I called.

Mom came into the room. And Riker reached for her, so she hugged him.

"What is it, Rocky?" She asked.

"Should we be like... trying to teach him things yet?"

"I don't know. I think we need to take it slow for now and just let him rest. The doctor said he'd be very tired for the next few weeks while his brain is healing."

"Ok."

Mom left. Riker looked at me.

"Want to watch another movie?"

Riker got up, so I got up too and followed him. He went to the kitchen.

He walked over to the fridge and then looked at me.

"Oh, are you hungry?" I asked.

He whined, so I'm taking that as a yes.

"Ok, come sit down at the table."

I took his hand and brought him to a chair. And then I decided to make him a sandwich. I made myself a sandwich too because I was also hungry. And then I sat down beside him at the table to eat.