Chapter 10: Crack In The Case

Gabriel, Lucifer, Balthazar, and Crowley sat around the Empty, the others glaring at Gabriel.

"I thought that plan was supposed to WORK," Lucifer commented.

"It did," Gabriel countered. "Cassie got out."

"Well a hell of a lot of good that does the rest of us." Gabriel shrugged.

"Cassie's out. That's what matters."

"What," Crowley said. "And you don't want to get out of here?"

"Of course I do," Gabriel said. "But if Cassie's out of here, then he's probably back with the Winchesters already, keeping them safe and working on finding a way to get the rest of us out of here."

"The Winchesters," Lucifer hissed. "It's always the Winchesters."

"OF course it is!" Crowley threw up his hands. "How many demons and angels would even be in this hellhole if the Winchesters weren't here?! I know I'd still be alive!"

"The Winchesters don't care about us, Gabriel," Balthazar offered. "Cassie's the only angel they want, and if he's back, then they won't help us."

"Yes they will." Gabriel declared. "And they DO care- Okay, well, they definitely don't care about Luci- but the rest of us matter!"

"Doubtful." Crowley muttered.

"You died for them." Gabriel reminded him. "If they could repay you for that by bringing you back to life, you know they would. And Cassie will tell them what happened, and he'll want to save us, and the Winchesters will follow him."

"What makes you think Castiel cares about any of us?" Lucifer questioned. "He's betrayed heaven more times then I have, all for the Winchesters. He killed Balthazar, and dozens of other angels. He wanted me dead, and we know he hated Crowley. Why would he even bother with us?"

"Because he's Castiel," Gabriel proclaimed. "And unlike you, he has a heart. He'll feel indebted to us and want to save us, I know it. And we'll get back to Earth, and everything will be back to normal again."

"Earth," Balthazar rolled his eyes. "Sex and liquor, that's all the humans are good for. And the Winchesters are simply annoying."

"Agreed." Crowley muttered.

"They always screw up everything," Lucifer went on.

"Don't talk about them like that." Gabriel warned. "The Winchesters have saved all our asses more times then I can count."

"You're only defending them because Sam Winchester is your personal pet," Crowley offered. "And yes, I know about that."

"Newsflash, Gabe," Lucifer said. "Sam Winchester doesn't give a crap about you. I'd know. I've been in his head."

"Shut up," Gabriel warned.

"He thought you were annoying, and you murdered his brother. He hates you."

"Shut UP."

"He could never like you. No one could. Especially not someone like Sam-"

"I said SHUT UP!!" Gabriel launched at his brother in fury and Lucifer jumped out of the way at the last second, letting Gabriel's enraged punch land on the floor instead. The Empty echoed as the force of Gabriel's punch slammed down on it, the archangel glaring at his brother.

"Look," Balthazar whispered, nodding towards the ground where Gabriel had just punched.

There was a slight gray crack in the ground, disturbing the perfect darkness of the Empty. They all glanced up at Gabriel, who's fists were still clenched in fury.

"Do it again," Crowley instructed.

******

"A door to hell," Benny mused, thinking. He nodded. "Yeah, I know where that one is."

"Could you take me there?" Castiel asked. Benny nodded.

"Anything for an old friend," He offered, and they set off. "....How's Dean doin' these days? Still up to no good?"

"As always," Castiel smiled. "But as of this moment in time, the world's not ending again, so that's a good sign."

"He's a good friend," Benny nodded. "Hasn't forgotten about lil old me, has he?"

"He could never forget you, Benny," Castiel assured him.

"Aw, you're just being nice now."

"I'm never morally required to be nice, that's not how angels work." Benny snorted.

"Y'know, I'll never quite understand what Dean sees in you." Castiel sighed.

"Some days, I don't even know what he sees."

"Whatever it is, it must be good. Brother was over the moon for you last time he was down here."

"I know."

"No, I don't think you do." Benny offered. "Weeks, we were looking for you. He didn't care about the monsters. Didn't care about getting home- only finding his angel. I saw him torture folks just because they caught a glimpse of you and wouldn't say where. I've never seen a man so determined to find somebody."

"Dean is... very loyal," Cas insisted. "And very protective of those he cares about."

"Don't we know it."