Chapter 23: Unraveled (Part 2)

Chris noticed a lantern in the distance. It was bobbing a bit but didn't seem to be getting any closer. "Is somebody there?"

The lantern made some progress, slowly and tentatively. "It's me," said a gentle voice.

"Oh."

A nervous lump lodged itself in his throat. He tried to get rid of it by swallowing. But doing so only created a new lump in his stomach. After what Joe had accused him of the night before, most of which he denied, he was about to be alone with the fairy princess.

This is a test, he decided. Some higher power was testing his willpower and judgment. And that power was laughing at him, knowing he wasn't good at tests.

"Expecting someone else?" Cassie appeared by the lowest rock.

"No . . . well . . . yes." Chris skipped down and helped her up. "I thought you might be my father, coming to share wisdom," he said, deepening his voice with sarcasm. He took her hand and led her over a deep gorge. "Or Joe, coming to . . . well, I don't know. Remind me again of his purpose?"

"To provide the great earth with intelligence and wit, deep and vast as the ocean," she said as they climbed upon the highest rock, "and to bestow upon us . . . humble us . . . with other praiseworthy attributes, numerous as stars in the sky." She spun around in a circle with a giggle while gesturing to the heavens with both hands.

"Yeah, that! How could I forget?"

Chris glanced at the slightly off-shoulder dress Cassie had bought at the market—the delicate pink fabric light against her sunburned skin, now turning to a tan. He made an effort not to glance again, but the image was ingrained, the damage done. A cold sweat broke out on his palms and lower back.

He took a seat at the rock's edge and let his legs dangle over the side. When he looked over his shoulder, she was still at the far end of the rock, tiptoes pressed into place. Her wide eyes seemed fixed on something present—a rock, a ledge, the dark space over the water—and distant—the debilitating memory of something or someone.

Her fear of the water put his angst into perspective. The will I, won't I, can I, should I seemed of little consequence in a world where tomorrow was no guarantee. What she needed more than anything was a friend, and he could be that for her.

When Cassie realized he was watching her, she smiled like nothing was wrong and sat down in the spot where she'd been standing. She adjusted her skirt around her legs, bent to the side. She reminded him of a rose with pink petals.

"So you don't want to watch the prodigal son get his merit badge in magic?" Chris asked, keeping to the safe topic of his brother.

"No, playing with a gorilla sounds much more fun."

He grimaced over his shoulder. "Hey, that's not nice."

"In all seriousness, Chris, try not to take it personally. Magic has a certain mystery to it. Although it's possible to overcome any shortcomings with perseverance, in most cases you're either born with the ability or you're not. Can you guess which category I represent?"

He pushed away from the ledge and turned to face her. He leaned on his hands and crossed his legs at the ankle. "Team gorilla?"

"Ha," Cassie retorted. "And I thought Joe was the funny one."

"Oh, so Joe's the funny one too!" Chris threw his eyes to heaven. "What does that make me known for? Temper tantrums?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"Sure, why not? But be nice. I have a fragile male ego."

"I'll try to keep that in mind." She paused and bit her lip as she settled on her answer. "From my perspective you are full of passion. You say exactly what you feel. You do exactly what you are compelled to do. When you are upset, or angry, or frustrated, you act without thinking rather than think without acting. Some, perhaps, would call you impetuous or reckless. Others might call you brave."