Chapter 15: Aloha (Part 3)

From the operatives in the MacRae household, Canis Major and his army had received word that Christopher's wife had a sister in Hawaii. Within minutes of their arrival in Honolulu, the address was confirmed, and they descended upon her home.

It was empty, though, and it appeared she had left in a hurry. There was an open suitcase on the floor and a baby swing in motion, the timer still on. Neighbors said they'd seen two "men" helping Simona and her children into her blue Honda with at least a week's worth of luggage.

With no other leads, the group returned to their luxury hotel room. They were waiting for word from Pyxis. Canis needed information from the Royal Library, specifically from the maps his grandfather had created during the Golden Age. These maps allegedly contained detailed notes regarding fairy populations around the world.

Canis had a general knowledge of fairy clan whereabouts in North America and Europe, but he had never heard of any island populations of the South Pacific. If they did exist, it was possible Scott MacRae would be living among them, perhaps building an army of his own, in their territory, with their protection, and far removed from any chance of discovery.

The possibility remained that the research was incomplete. If this turned out to be the case, Canis and his army wouldn't know anything more than the MacRae brothers did. If, however, the maps provided a couple of facts—clan leaders, their history, their approximate locations—then Pyxis would have a distinct advantage.

Canis was becoming more irate with each passing second. This was his mother's war, but she hadn't yet gotten her facts together. And the MacRaes were no doubt in hiding already or following leads of their own.

Finally, there was a rap on the door. A Gray Coat dressed as an island native accepted a wax-sealed envelope. He opened it and handed Canis the tiny letter inside the larger one.

My Prince,

I ran into that witless wonder you sent into my library. Had I not intervened, he surely would have burnt it to the ground.

Regardless, I am the only one who can provide what you need. As you are aware, the research regarding fairy populations around the world is nearly complete. Unfortunately, the only information we have about the South Pacific is hearsay at best. Although my father's regime conducted preliminary searches there, they never captured and questioned any inhabitants.

We do know there are two neighboring clans hidden in Oahu's Ewa Forest, named after the Hawaiian gods Kāne and Kanaloa. There existed only the Kanaloa until an oppressed subpopulation broke away, forming the Kāne. The two populations have been at war ever since. There are also two tribes living on Hawaii's big island—Pō and Ao. We know even less about these groups. If my beloved ex-husband is hiding in the vicinity, I would hypothesize he lives among the Kāne. He always had a propensity to align himself with the tyrannized, but don't rule out any of the others until we know more.

You will need to search the Ewa Forest far and wide. I have assigned more soldiers to this mission to enable you to do so efficiently. They should be arriving by nightfall.

Canis, I have also amended your mission. I want you to verify the existence of this rare breed of winged Modifiers. Morgan MacRae, as your bride, is, of course, the very opposite of ideal. Instead, find a fem-fairy of child-rearing age who is capable of bearing what we desire. We will arrange the wedding immediately upon your return. Your sons will have powers beyond our wildest imagination!

Canis had to pause there. He loathed the idea of being told whom to marry, but he had to comply if he wanted his mother to concede the crown. Still, he did not intend to end relations with Lyra or her sister, Ursa. They were inferior by birth, but luscious distractions, nonetheless. Unless he could find a wife who met his mother's criteria as well as his own, he would have to call on the maids and other lovers all the more often. "Anything you wish, Mother," he mumbled bitterly to himself.

Otherwise, correspond with Pyxis daily. I want to know every detail of your progress. And, Canis, you have made noteworthy progress with this task, but do not become overconfident. The MacRaes have an obscene amount of luck on their side. Fortunately, you have superior training, an army that will triple in number by evening, and an inkling of where to start looking. I have high expectations this mission will come to a speedy resolution. DO NOT FAIL ME.

Best Regards,

Your Dearest Mother

Canis folded the letter and returned it to its envelope. "Bring me the map of Oahu," he commanded.

A winged fairy carried out the request and Canis pinpointed the Ewa Forest. They were now in much better shape than they had been previously. Still, they would have to sift through many miles of territory to find that wretched King of the Unworthy and the half-human mongrels he sired.       

⭐️⭐️⭐️