Chapter 6: Expect the Unexpected (Part 1)

After a joyful reunion with the waking children and a hasty breakfast, the MacRaes stepped into the hall of the Aurora Borealis with their supplies and weapons, and with Joe and Chris wearing their robes with fake wings attached. The children, of course, had wings—real wings!—of their own.

Despite the expected perilousness of the day ahead, Chris did not restrain his children's excitement and noisy chatter, because otherwise, even Joe seemed stressed to silence. Perhaps along the cobbled streets of Pyxis, the children added the element of conventionality required to travel unnoticed. It took the pressure off Chris to act natural.

The "safe" segment of their journey ended when they turned their approach toward The Mainway in the North End.

While they waited for Cassie's signal, Chris watched fairies pass by the mouth of their alley. Some had pushcarts. Others had baskets of goods. A few more had clothing or jewelry draped over their arms, signs or information to hand out, and some merely existed, perhaps too hungry, sick, or weak to do more than slink by.

The alley brightened when a fairy on stilts paused at the opening. The torch he juggled set off a wave of dancing shadows.

While the performer provided the area with a distraction, Cassie huddled everyone together for the last of their instructions. "We should travel down The Mainway, alone or in small groups. The street ends in front of the palace. Bear left on Royal Way and keep walking until you get to the bridge. There is a steep slope to its right, but it is possible to climb down. We will meet again underneath the bridge. There is a narrow bank where we can hide and wait. Shall I go first and continue on with Morgan?"

Chris considered the question for a moment. Since twins had a way of attracting attention, it was a good idea to keep them apart. And Morgan seemed to like Cassie. They were acting like long-lost sisters. His only misgiving was in terms of safety. What would happen to Morgan if a problem did arise?

Chris nodded once he mustered up some optimism.

And with that, Cassie gave them each a comforting touch on the arm. "See you at the bridge. Good luck." She offered her hand to Morgan, and they stepped into the busy street.

"Here's to crazy," Joe said with a hesitant smile and his fist in the air.

"More like suicidal," Chris replied.

"Thanks for darkening the moment."

"I'm here for ya. Be careful out there, Joe."

"You too."

Joe slapped and squeezed Chris's shoulder and then he left as well.

"Ready, kiddo?" Chris squeezed Ryan's hand and Ryan looked up with the dark, almond-shaped eyes he'd inherited from his mother. The look might have been debilitating for someone else. For Chris it was motivating. What Alana would want most was the survival of their children.

When Ryan squeezed his hand back, Chris decided they were ready.

They eased themselves onto The Mainway, a more chaotic thoroughfare than what Chris had seen from the alley. He would never purposely subject himself or his children to a place like this. The street reminded him of his recurring nightmares, but Pyxis was more bizarre and fantastical than even his warped dreams.

There were fairies walking or hovering around, and vendors soliciting customers in multiple dimensions. The fire was the most eye-catching. Street performers juggled torches, streetlamps flickered, dancers twirled and leaped around bonfires, and braziers wafted scents of roasted nuts and crispy meat.

Chris squeezed his son's hand tighter due to his own uneasiness. He guided him to the center of the action even though his parental instincts told him to stay to the side.