A No Good, Very, Very Bad Plan

A/N: Alright everyone, I'm genuinely sorry I didn't update last week. Exams have just started and I have to push through the final stretch before I can really start writing again. I hope you can be patient with me and the book, I think it'll be worth the wait.

Anyway, is anyone here watching the Game of Thrones season eight premiere tonight?! I have to wait until Wednesday to see it because of exams -.-

Thanks for reading, everyone!

- TAAF_

Lillian's POV

My phone rang twice before Stiles picked up.

"Lillian!" he screeched. "Are you okay?! Is Derek okay?"

"We're both fine," I answered quickly. "Derek would be dead if I hadn't come," I hissed. "But he's fine now. Is Scott there?"

"Yeah, he's right here," Stiles confirmed. "You're not on speaker but he can hear you."

"Naturally," I scoffed, realising it wasn't necessary for me to do the same. "So I take it no one caught the Alpha?"

"No," Stiles sighed. "He was gone by the cops showed up."

"Who do they think wreaked all that havoc?" I asked. "Didn't the Alpha kill someone? Who do the police think killed him?"

Stiles' gulp was audible and my stomach clenched as I glanced at Derek. "Stiles?" I snarled, gripping the phone tightly, the potential answer making my blood chill.

"We thought Derek was dead, so Scott said he killed them."

"What?!" Derek roared, fury rippling off him, matching his tone perfectly.

"You're wanted for murder," Stiles added, his voice reaching a pitiful level.

"I'm going to kill you, and then I'll really be guilty!" Derek snarled, and my chest quivered.

What are we going to do what are we going to do what are we going to do?

"Please don't!" Stiles yelped. "All we have to do is find out who the Alpha is, then you'll be off the hook!"

"How the fuck am I supposed to do that if every time I step outside I might be shot by police?"

"Camouflage?" Stiles offered weakly, and Derek's eyes lit with flames that told me he was about to throw my phone through the wall.

"Don't," Derek hissed. "You better fix this mess before I wind up dead or in jail. Again. Because of you. Again."

"It was Scott's idea!" Stiles protested and I heard Scott's reaction of protest as well. Rage boiled in my gut, the fear of what would happen to Derek or even me if they caught him threatening to overtake me. I sat down on the bed, my breath coming in short gasps. I just worked my ass off to save Derek's life and it hardly mattered because he was about to be taken away again. Not again not again not again.

"I don't care," I heard Derek growl before he hung up and chucked the device on my bed next to me. "What a fucking idiot."

I didn't answer. My heart felt like it was going to stop. I could barely breathe.

"Hey, are you okay?" Derek asked softly, sitting next to me.

"You can't go to jail," I managed to say, breathing heavily. "You can't. I need you... I need you to not be in jail."

"I'm not going to jail," Derek soothed, wrapping his arm around me. "We'll find out who the Alpha is and it's going to be okay."

I scoffed. "That's ridiculous. And not how the real world works." I finally looked at him, my eyes filling with tears. "Our justice system is so deeply flawed that I have almost no confidence that you'll be off the hook, even if we find out who the Alpha is. Even if we try to prove to the cops that the Alpha did it, what are you supposed to do in the meantime?"

Derek huffed, his green eyes firm. "Look for him."

"What happens when the cops come for you? It's not exactly a secret that we were and are dating," I snapped. "I'm genuinely surprised that they haven't already paid us a visit!"

"I can hide," Derek replied, and I nearly laughed.

"That's the worst idea I've heard all day. This isn't the movies, Derek. People can't just run from the cops and not get caught. That's not how real life works."

"Would you rather I turned myself in?" Derek hissed, standing up and rounding on me. "You said it yourself, our justice system is fucked up. Once they take me in, I might never get out."

The very thought had my trembling, a massive lump forming in my throat but I held his gaze firmly. "I would rather Stiles hadn't lied to the police," I said forcefully, pushing past the emotion in my throat. "But what's done is done. And I don't think turning yourself in is a good idea, no. I just don't feel good about harbouring a wanted man. I don't feel good about any of this. What if we tell the cops the truth?"

"That a giant bear-like animal tried to kill me and successfully killed the janitor?" Derek snorted incredulously. "There's no way they'd believe that. You can't tell them it hurt me, my body is proof, I'm not injured anymore."

I swallowed thickly, my heart sinking. He was right.

"I can hear the police coming from miles away," Derek told me. "I'll have time to hide."

"Where are you going to hide?!" I asked, exasperated. "The roof?"

A whisper of a smirk passed over his face. "That's a fantastic idea."

I narrowed my eyes, frowning. "Seriously?"

"Think about it," Derek said. "The barn is huge. You can't see the ridge of the roof from the ground. Or from the house. If I just stay up there and quiet, they won't think to look up there. I doubt they have the tools or skills to, anyway."

"Sounds like a gamble," I replied. "But I don't think there's a better option."

"Wait," he murmured. " I have an idea. People think we broke up, right? What if you call the police, tell them I called you trying to get you to help me, but you threw me out and I told you I was going back to Brooklyn, that the cops should look for me there?"

"Why Brooklyn?"

"I used to live there. I still own an apartment and it has a phone that they can call," Derek explained. "Sounds pretty convincing to me. I don't think it could hurt. It would establish that you're not on my side, to them, at least."

"The police will definitely check my phone for proof that you called. We'd have to get someone else to call from some payphone somewhere because otherwise the cops will trace the call."

"I can get a buddy of mine to call from a payphone in Brooklyn," Derek said quickly.

"Brooklyn is so far from here," I pointed out. "My story's gotta be airtight before I call the police to tell them you left California."

Derek picked up his phone and began dialling. "I'll get him to call from a payphone. No-- Better yet, I'll get him to call from my apartment. You tell the cops that I stopped by here last night before I made a break for it to try to get your help, said no, then when I 'got to Brooklyn', I called you again. Then the police will have the phone record of that actually happening."

I smiled softly against my better judgement, hardly able to comprehend the fact that we were really attempting this. A felony. Probably multiple felonies. This was a terrible idea.

A no good, very, very bad plan.