No, Just You

Lillian's POV

A few days later, I got hungry and thought of Derek at the same time, and picked up my phone.

To Derek: Do you know anywhere good to eat out here?

I set my phone back down and flopped on my bed, the covers nice and cool. We hadn't kissed since the night he came over, and I was alright with that. We'd trained twice, and thankfully things weren't weird at all. If anything, things were more fun now that we had this new layer to our relationship. Things were flirty and cute but we could still work hard training. I really hoped nothing would change that.

Buzz buzz!

From Derek: hungry?

I smirked.

To Derek: ya.

From Derek: Want me to pick you up in half an hour and we can go somewhere?

To Derek: Where?

From Derek: You'll see.

A strange sort of excitement spread through my gut. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been on a real date. Or could I? The jury was still out on whether the dinner-turned-makeout with Derek had been a date. After Rosie walking in on us, I would be very glad to go somewhere else where that would not be happening again.

To Derek: Does this dinner have a dress code?

His witty reply was near instant.

From Derek: I don't do dress codes ;)

I started a little, staring at the screen, unsure of what to make of the response. I guess I didn't have to dress up, then. I secretly hoped at some point if our relationship continued we'd have the time to go somewhere fancy. If only to see Derek in a suit and promptly tear it off him. Oops.

It didn't take me long to find an outfit from my closet consisting of a skinny jeans and a black tank top, along with a pair of black and white cowboy boots, which I selected from my row of five pairs. As I slid on my leather jacket, I smirked. Derek loved leather. I silently hoped he'd want to tear it off me too.

A blush bloomed across my cheeks. Man, I needed to pipe down.

...

By the time Derek had made it up the driveway, my heart had probably pumped out my entire blood volume in about five seconds. I didn't know why he made me so nervous, but he did. Maybe it was the idea of being fully alone in a car with him that did the trick.

I hoped he'd picked somewhere good to eat, because above my nervousness, I was still famished. Derek rolled up next to me, and flicked down his shades, grinning.

Oh God, I thought. He hardly even needed those sunglasses, he just knew they made him look great. Bastard.

I tugged open the door and slid into the passenger's seat, shooting a smile at Derek. Something in my gut eased at the sight of his calm and happy expression he returned.

"Hey," I met his gaze, as I considered why I was nervous. He was just Derek, no big deal. Even a date didn't need to be a big thing.

Thankfully, he took his shades off for good before we started driving.

"So you gonna tell me where we're going?"

Derek scoffed. "No."

I huffed. "How come?" The sky was gorgeous as it cleared above the tall trees lining the road into town.

"Where's the fun in that?" Derek threw a sexy glance at me. "Last time we went somewhere, you had me chase you onto a rooftop. I'd like to reclaim the element of surprise."

"Oh, you would, would you?" I simpered, sliding a finger down the dark leather of the arm of his jacket. "Can't let me have my fun?"

"I think you need to let go, Lils," Derek breathed the nickname in a way that I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. If he was, damn, I could get used to being called that. "Let me surprise you. If it makes you feel any better it's not a big thing that I planned. Don't get too excited."

"Going anywhere with you is cause for excitement, I'd say,"

*

We pulled up to a building on the other side of town, a hanging sign above the entrance that read La Rosetta. I figured I knew what Derek had planned as we ascended the stairs inside the restaurant. I bit back a grin as a waiter greeted us on the second story.

"Inside or patio?" he asked with a warm smile.

"Patio," Derek said with a returning grin and we followed him to a door leading outside. The warm air kissed my face in contrast to the air-conditioned interior of the venue as we were seated on the edge of the patio, which was really more of a roof.

I suppose it wasn't surprising that Derek remembered I liked to climb and sit on roofs, but it was still very pleasant that he thought to bring me there for dinner. I always felt more free from the roof of a building or at least being outside. My grin was uncontained.

"I didn't even know this place was here," I scoffed as we sat and the waiter left.

"Well, now you do."

"Do you take all your girls here?" I mused, throwing a flirty glance across the table.

"Nope," Derek shot back, arching an eyebrow. "Just you."

A/N: Hey everyone!

I hope you liked this chapter, please let me know what you think in the comments! I love reading your opinions and having chats. :)

Cheers,

- TAAF_