Chapter 5- The House

The house, if you could call it a house, was huge. It had two stories and was built with only three hallways. As I walked through the front door, which was designed to give visitors a sort of welcoming feeling, I saw before me the first hallway.

There were four doors in this hallway; each door had a certain design that held a clue to what was beyond the door. The first door on the right, the one that opened to the kitchen, was adorned with a carving of a chef’s hat, with a fork and a spoon, like crossed swords, on top of the hat. Across the hall was the dining room, whose door held the same symbol as the kitchen’s only without the hat. Venturing farther into the hallway brought me to a staircase that stretched from one side of the hallway, to the other. Where the bottom of the stairs met the wall on both sides was a door. Both doors opened inward, and both were adorned with a symbol, just as the first two had been. The door on the right, was adorned with an inlay of an amphitheater, and opened to a medium-sized meeting room. The final door, was adorned with a carving of a couch, it opened to the living room.

The room that amazed the most was their meeting room. There was a pretty large table; it was lower to the ground than most, which confused me. As I counted the chairs around the table I became even more confused, there were only three. I then noticed what looked like four blankets. Two had pictures of cats on them. Of the remaining two, one had dog bones while the other was solid grey.

“Are you wondering what the beds are for?” Brandon asked as he put his hand on my shoulder.

“I’m guessing those two are for Bethany and Sarah.” I replied as I pointed to the two with cats on them.

“That’s right and the other two are for George and Ashley. Don’t ask me who owns which because they will use both instead of always using one.” Brandon explained to me.

As I exited the meeting room, I saw that the others had unloaded the car and were bringing the groceries into the kitchen. I looked at the stairs and a feeling of curiosity filled me. I wanted to go upstairs so badly but I didn’t know if I should or not. I stood there and stared up at the top of the stairs when I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder. It was George.

“Want me to show you where you live?” He asked me as he grinned.

“It would be helpful.” I told him as I stared at his teeth, which looked as though he sharpened them every day.

“Alright then follow me.” He told me with a grin. He led me upstairs.

Once upstairs, we found two doors, one on the right, and one on the left. The one on the left held a carving of a girl. The door on the right, which held a carving of a boy, is the one George took me through.

We walked into a hallway which had 6 bedrooms, 3 on each side. At the end of the hallway, if you were to make a left turn was another staircase, but it was off limits to us. George took me past two of the rooms on the left, the second of which, I assumed was his for it was littered with dog toys and bones. He took me into the last room on the left. It was large compared to most rooms but it was also crowded with furniture.

“Welcome to your new home buddy.” George told me as he led me inside.

“Wow it’s huge.” I told him.

The room contained a king sized bed, a computer desk and office chair, a television which was hooked up to a Wii, and a walk in closet. It was clear to me that these people lived in luxury.

“Well, I guess I should we should go downstairs. Brandon is making ham.” George told me as his mouth started watering. “Mmmmm ham.” He said sounding as if he were in heaven.

“How does he cook it?” I asked him as I wondered if it was fried ham, my favorite.

“He has three hams. One he grills, one the fries and the third, he bakes.” George explained to me.

“Oh my gods that sounds good.” I told him as I smiled.

“Then come on, otherwise Ashley will eat it all.” He said as he took my arm and pulled me downstairs.

As George pulled me into the dining room I looked around and saw that the table was almost the same as the one in the meeting room. There were four chairs this time; each chair had, in front of it, a plate, a fork, a spoon, a napkin and a glass. I saw that they had brought the four beds, from the meeting hall, in and each had two bowls in front of them. Of the eight bowls, three had only ham in them. Each of these three was in front of the two cat beds and the solid grey dog bed. The other bowl in front of these beds had either water or soda in them. Lying down in each cat bed was a kitten either drinking out of the bowl in front of them or eating out of the other bowl in front of them. Lying down in the solid grey dog bed was a wolf that looked to be not an adult yet, but too old to be a puppy. The wolf was eating out of a dog bowl labeled Ashley.

“Hey Rae, grab your plate and get your food.” Erin told me as her, Brandon, and Mike, each, grabbed a plate. They walked across the room to where a table, with food, was set up.

They started serving themselves and I, being new to this form of serving, followed their lead. As I started to serve myself, I noticed George walking over with a bowl. I went down the table and filled up my plate. I then sat down at a chair that had a runic letter carved into back. I know now that the runic letter was that of R, for Rae. Brandon sat down in a chair, marked with a lightning bolt, for Zeus. Mark sat in a chair marked with an eye for Balor. Erin sat down in a chair marked with an Egyptian sun. Then George walked over to the dog bed covered with dog bones. He set his bowl down and then the strangest thing happened. George turned into a wolf and, laid down in the dog bed and started to eat.

“Uh, what just happened?” I asked Brandon.

“George and Ashley are children of Fenrir. They can turn into Wolves. Bethany and Sarah,” He motioned to the two cats. “Are daughters of Bastet, and have the ability to turn into cats.” He explained to me. “I am a son of Zeus. I can call lightning down from the heavens. Mark is a son of Balor. He can willingly kill someone by looking them in the eye, and willing it to happen. Erin is the daughter of Ra-“

“She’s a real hot head.” Mark said as he interrupted Erin.

Erin looked at Mark and his ham burst into flames. “At least I can charm people with my eyes.” She teased him.

“Hey I was eating that.”  Mark said as he stood up and went over to the buffet table to get more ham.

I sat there trying to control my laughter. I was starting to get used to these people. They were like a family and they took me in when my father had sent me. “So uh, how did you all meet?” I asked them.

They looked at me and the room was filled with a sudden silence.