Chapter 1: The beginning.

Everything was up in flames.

Smoke was everywhere.

My bones ached, and pain pierced through every fiber of my being.

The smell of death and burnt flesh filled the air.

I couldn't move.

I was stuck inside an overturned transfer truck, with my hands and ankles chained to the floor.

The guards were dead.

Outside I could hear the faint sound of the chopper circling the area, I wonder if help was coming anytime soon.

I felt nothing as I waited for my fate. No fear. No doubt. Just a single regret.

I should have killed Vincent Skylar when I had the chance.

I started to lose my vision as my lungs slowly filled up with toxic fumes. Blood trickled down from a small cut on my temple and mingled with my tears, before dripping on to my orange jumpsuit.

I hated him.

I hated myself for failing.

"Game over for me," I hoarsely coughed out.

As everything began to fade away, I faintly felt a small explosion that violently shook the truck, before a burst of light blinded me as someone ripped the doors open and then...

Black.

+++++++++++++++

Today was the same as yesterday.

Wake up. Get ready. Go to work, and try not to get lost. It was my daily routine, except on Monday, it was my day off.

My life was ordinary and boring, nothing special. I worked as a delivery girl for a little bakery called Sugary treats in the city that never sleeps.

My name is Morin Espiritus, age twenty-three years old. A business graduate.

My mother was kind and my father was strict, but they both loved me very much and did what was best for me.

They shared a small shipping company which did very well and allowed them to provide me with the best education.

When I first arrived here, I was unsure of what was expected of me, but after three years, I decided to extend my stay after I graduated.

I could have worked at an office, but desk work didn't seem all that appealing. Still, I still needed a job to help pay half of the rent for the apartment I was sharing with my best friend, who was also a business graduate.

Her name was Anastasia, Tassi for short. She worked in an office during the day, and sometimes she picks up a little side job at night.

We met at college and became friends. We shared the same dorm room and now the same apartment.

Tassi got me the job at the café. I don't exactly hate it, but I don't exactly love it either.

I do get a lot of exercise running deliveries, I just don't like the people I deliver to sometimes...like right now.

"That will be thirty-seven dollars, ma'am." I lightly panted out as I handed the box of cupcakes to Mrs. Thomson, who was our regular customer and one of those lonely cat ladies.

She also lived on the ninth floor and her building's elevator was always out of service.

She was also rude and needed to get laid.

"What the hell are you wearing?" She gave me a nasty look. "Clothes," I tried to sound as cheerful as possible when I answered her.

"Those pants are too low! And that shirt is too tight! You should be ashamed of yourself young lady! And shouldn't you be at school?" She rasps out as she shoves the money at me while scratching my wrist in the process.