III

Sleep deprivation, that's all. At least, that's what Faye thought a few minutes after seeing a man disappear in front of her. Brushing the encounter off as a result of her few hours of sleep, the librarian continued to the café. Seeing the familiar blonde at their usual table near the far corner by the shelves of books, the brunette smiled and happily made her way over.

"You look like you've seen a ghost, Faye!" Her friend laughed. Well, Faye thought, not so far off. She really did need more sleep.

"Oh please, the only ghost in my life is the late King Hamlet!"

Jean shook her head with a chuckle, "Always in the books, just like back in University." The two girls happened to have become roommates in their freshmen year of college. It was a disaster at first, each absolutely hated each other. Jean was too social for Faye, always bringing friends into the room while Faye just wasn't the type of girl Jean ever befriended; too reserved and uptight. Somehow the two opposites wound up actually thriving together, they balanced one another out. After their first year they became inseparable.

"Unlike a certain cheerleader I recall."

"Hey! I still got good grades!"

"Yeah, after a little help from an amazing roomie!"

"You know what?" Jean sassed.

"Pray tell, what?"

Jean gets up, "we need to go order."

Faye laughed then followed her oldest friend. Making their way to the counter, Faye noticed Shawn making the drinks and groaned. Jean noticed and laughed, "Aww stop being harsh on the guy, take it as a compliment." Faye only huffed. Shawn was the part-time barista who liked the brunette. Every time she got a drink from him, he would flirt and try and get her to agree on a date with him. The attention unnerved Faye to say the very least.

As the pair went up to the register, they ordered their usual, "One cinnamon latte and one green tea latte."

"-oh please it's sweet," Jean was still talking about Shawn, "and he's not bad looking either. I'd be all over that if he wasn't practically in love with you." She was right, Faye knew that. Shawn was extremely handsome; tall, muscular, tan, with dirty blonde hair, baby blue eyes, and a smile that made every girl swoon. He was nice too, but a bit arrogant for Faye's taste. She couldn't understand what Shawn saw in her; she was simple, he was outgoing, she preferred books, he preferred boxing, she was mediocre, while he was every girls dream. They were too different.

"Cinnamon latte, green tea latte," Shawn called, "for my favorite pair of ladies."

Taking her drink, Faye mumbled a quiet thanks to the smiling barista.

"Anytime, Faye. How's your day been?"

Seeing Jean giggle from the corner of her eye Faye internally groaned, "Average, not too much change in a library."

"Same here," Shawn scratched the back of his neck, "So there's this dirt bike race tomorrow I was wondering if you'd like to come watch it with me?"

Having to hold back a wince, Faye shook her head, "Sorry Shawn, I have work tomorrow."

"Oh, alright, maybe next time?"

"I'm not too big on bikes, I'm sorry." he looked so dejected but what could she say? She didn't want to give false hope.

"No it's fine, it's not for everyone," noticing the orders coming in Shawn had to get back to his job, "See you again tomorrow?"

Faye smiled weakly before returning to her table, "As usual."