Chapter 13

Ro Byrnes 2012

I had to be mad, it was the only conclusion that I could draw up without sounding stupid. Well I was either mad or that bitch of a nurse was right and there was such a thing as sleep deprivation.

I saw her, I saw Georgie and she was standing up and breathing and all the other things that people could do. She’d talked to me. ‘I’m right here’ and she had been and she’d kissed me and it felt so real like real flesh. Maybe a little more wet than a normal human. Like she’d been crying or like she was made from condensation that you get on the mirror after a shower.

I sighed and got up. It was four in the morning and I needed to get home to get ready for school. I only had one more week in school and then all I had to do was go in for my exams so I had to go in to get good grades. Georgie would kick me up the arse if she found out I’d done bad because of her not being there.

I leaned down and kissed Georgie’s head. I stroked the side of her face and cupped my palm around her cheek rubbing my thumb along her soft skin. I leaned further in and kissed her lips.

And she moaned. I looked down at her in surprise. Had I heard that? Was it me going crazy again or...? I shook it off, I really needed a sleep. I sighed and straightened up taking my bag and taking her iPod with me. I’d been doing this a lot lately; I was trying to carry her around with me so I was always close, that’s why I was ignoring the funny looks that all the guys gave me in gym when we were getting changed. If their best mate was dying would they want to carry something of theirs around? So I was wearing her St. Christopher necklace that she always wore and it wasn’t the most masculine thing to wear, but it was Georgie and I was wearing. Anyway she wasn’t just my best friend, she could possibly be more if she accepts.

Her dad woke up as I left the room.

“Ro, where are you going?” he asked looking at me confused.

I went back into the room and sat back on the chair. “I was going to go home and get ready for school, it’s a long walk that’s all.”

“Don’t be stupid. Get a few more hours and then I’ll give you a lift. Have you got your uniform with you?”

“No sir.”

He rolled his eyes at me calling him that but didn’t mention it like he normally did. “I’ll drop you off at eight, would that be okay? You could eat here,” I started to object; “I’ll buy.” I nodded and looked back at Georgie, I never brought money with me, I brought enough for the rose but not for anything else. “Go to sleep now Roland.” He ordered, and it would have to be if he was calling me by my full name.

I nodded and rested my forehead on the covers next to Georgie taking her hand like I always did. Even if I got a cricked neck for this it would pay off to be this close to Georgie. I didn’t have any comfort like her parents did; they had each other to talk to, to grieve with. The only person who could comfort me was the one on the bed and I think I would look slightly mental talking to her when her parents were in the room.

I sighed and brought her limp hand under my mouth, I rested my lips on her marbly skin and played with her cold fingers as I waited for seven to come around.

“Could I have a tea cake?” I asked the woman behind the counter at seven twenty.

She nodded and smiled as she went into the back and brought out a new packet of tea cakes. “Want it heated up sweetie?” I nodded and started down the moving line again. “And what would you like to drink honey?”

“Uh... coffee.”

“Black or white?” she chirped with fake enthusiasm. Maybe working in a place like this you had to be overly happy so that you aren’t brought down by the sad faces. Well they weren’t all sad, there was a man in his twenties in the corner with a smile that the Cheshire cat would envy, but apart from him all looked worried, sick or on the brink of tears. I was the latter.