Chapter 9

Eight weeks later Georgie was sitting in a hidden nook she had found five weeks after the situation, returning from the village the mansion overlooked (Felton) she noticed in the hedge row a slightly battered part and of the side road. She walked through the undergrowth which resulted in nettle stings up her calves and her silk overcoat getting in three places which her mother later commented made her look 'improper'.

The nook unlike the hidey hole she'd found the first day; was colourful. Cornflowers, overgrown grass which had turned a pale yellow and Georgie thought it reminded her of wheat. Long daisies also grew there and thistles and variations of pink, purple and white foxgloves. It had obviously been made by a long ago villager, she could tell by the weathered stone bench hidden under an arch of trees, the trees protected the bench from prying eyes.

Since then she'd come to the nook every day, reminiscing over Cathy, herself and Ro, especially Ro. She of course missed Roland, but she wanted her Ro. She wanted his hug, with his touch warm and cosy in that unknown fabric that certainly didn't exist in the time she was in, his Davidoff smell that was just... home. To feel his big strong arms around her little waist. She wanted protection, she didn't get it here. Roland just gave up and gave in. Ro would have stood next to her and thrown punches for her. But she couldn't blame Roland; it was a different time, different rules.

Roland was fine, he was let out of wherever he had been kept, she didn't know where, she hadn't talked to him yet, that was one of the things Roland had been told; if he even looked at her again death was certain.

A plus with all this was that Joseph had lost interest, Georgie guessed he would be chasing another princess in less than no time, he wanted power and wealth as he had said, she was just easier because she was young, controlled by an easily flattered mother, and was also under pressure from her distant relatives of marrying young.

Her mother mostly wallowed in her boudoir, she had only come out for evening dinners and a few weeks back she had been forced by her husband to go to Bath for some city air and also hinting sarcastically about how we could regain face in society. He seemed to be the only person who didn't seem to be bothered about what Georgie did. Even the villagers seemed to be disgusted that Georgie had turned a Sir down. The men kept away and the women either sneered in her face or whispered behind her back. Her father said that she had made great gossip for the servants and he told her about all the crap that had been made up down in the basement of the house. She and her father would sit in his office for hours laughing at the rubbish made.

Her life since finding the nook was; wake up, eat, go to the nook, go back at lunch, back to the nook, back for the evening, spend hours with her father.

"Georgie." a man's voice whispered loudly. The voice of course belonged to Roland. He had agreed to see Georgie after she'd sneakily sent a note through the postal service under a false name. Georgie got up and walked over to his voice had come from. When she saw him she noticed he'd become ashen and thinner under his clothing. "It is lethal, me being here, you have little time to talk to me, so go!"

"Roland I'm so sorry. I knew I shouldn't have done that and I'm an idiot that I have done it." he didn't look happy, like he was worried but also secretive; a wall had been placed between them and it would be hard for her to knock down the wall. "Roland, I asked you to come today because I have a question, I felt could interest you." he looked at her questioningly. "Would you like to run away with me?"

He looked taken aback. "Georgie, I am so very sorry; but I am engaged, forcibly engaged yes, but still engaged."

It was Georgie's turn to be taken aback, "wh-what?" she looked at him, he looked guilty and pained, she decided she won’t press "But you don't want to? So there easy. Roland, please you love me, I love you."

He shook his head "I'm not ruining your name any more Georgina." Ouch Georgina "It's bad enough that I am black." Georgie had wondered about that, she didn't know how he'd become a lord being the race he was. But she hadn't asked, and she thought that maybe one day she will, but not today.

"Roland I don't care. I'm going anyway, you can come with me and be happy or you can stay and be miserable."

"Georgie, I wish I was so innocently simple like you." Georgie gave him digs for that, she hated being talked down to. "They will come and find us and I shall be dead."

Georgie laughed bitterly, "Roland, do you know what I love about Ro the best; his sense of adventure, not giving two flying f*cks that he'll get into trouble. He would do anything to keep me safe and happy."

"It sounds like you are quite spoilt." he smiled at her.

That really pissed her off "No! Ro did it coz' he loved me you jerk! I'm not spoilt, Ro did it because he loved me and he had a pair of balls. Unlike you!"

Roland smiled at her slyly then, "I have not got a clue what you just said to me but you looked very elegant doing so."

"Shut your face. You can't get around me by charm Roland."

He sighed heavily. "I would prefer to leave with you."

"Great, so Thursday." She said and started to walk off. "Meet me here."

"Wait Georgie, what about talking to me?"

"Well, I have. I said what I wanted. I've got what I want and I'm now going. Maybe you are right, I am spoilt. Anyway you were meant to be in a hurry." Georgie walked out of the nook leaving Roland smiling sadly, running his fingers through the long grass.