Only A Dream

I finally arrived to my destination. I was so excited and nervous at the same time. It would be the first time that I ever meet Tom in person. We have been online chatters for the better part of three years now. He doesn't know that I planned to come see him in Washington. I guess it might have been a good idea, seeing as I came from the most southern part of Arizona. That's a long way to travel. All in the hopes that I might catch him while he's at work. Tom works at a grocery store deli in Spokane Washington. After three years of getting to know him, I know exactly where he works and can usually pinpoint the exact time he is at work.

     I shouldn't be so nervous, but I am. I feel as if I am stuck to the seat of my car. I am also very excited. It's an amazing feeling that sort of makes me freeze until I can convince myself that I can do it. Maybe I should have called him first.. But I wanted it to be a surprise. OK... Here I go, I can do this! A cart wrangler gave me a slightly puzzled look as I got out of my car. And so did this old lady in the parking spot next to me. I think I am just being paranoid right now. I gave them no reason to be staring at me like I think they are. Self-consciousness. That's it. I regained confidence for the moment and I smoothed out the wrinkles in my dress, which is not suitable for this weather in Spokane, but oh well, not much I can really do now. As I made my way to the back of the store, in search of the deli, I finally find it. Wow. They have this deli set up almost like a miniature restaurant. I stopped at a wire sign that stated to wait to be seated. I tried to peer around the corner to see if Tom would be the one seating me. How strange would that be. I hope he doesn't.. Oh, I don't know! As a light layer of perspiration began to form on the back of my neck, a young gentleman came out and greeted me.

"Welcome to the Delicatessen! How are you this fine day, ma'am?"

"Oh, very well, thank you.." I said with some hesitation.

     I began to wonder if Tom was working today. As the man led me to my table, I looked around, hoping to get a glimpse of Tom working somewhere around here. The dim lighting for the deli area was very comforting to me. I ordered a sweet tea and a turkey club sandwich. As I waited for my meal to come to me, I called my mother to let her know I arrived to my destination safely. Mother doesn't know the real reason for my visit here. She thinks I am here to help jump-start my next big article for the magazine company I work for.

     A different man came out with my order, and I hurried to get off the phone with Mother. I looked up, and there he was. Tom was working today! As a rush of mixed thoughts and feelings came to me, I fixed my hair a little and stood up. Oh, why did I stand.. now I look completely stupid! Tom came up to my table, obviously not recognizing me. This made me giggle a little and I felt better immediately.

"How are you today, Tom?" I said, wondering if that would hint him a little.

He scanned me over quickly to see if he knew who I was. "I am fine, thanks... How did you know my name?" He said awkwardly.

"He.. Well, I'm a psychic." What was I thinking? I felt so comfortable now, though.

"Really? That's interesting!" He said as he sat my plate down on the little table.

"No, not really, Tom. It's me, Sarah. You know, from Arizona?" I said confidently.

"NO WAY! How did you get here? I mean, why?" Tom said, face all aglow.

"I came here to see you. I know I should have probably talked to you about it first, but I wanted it to be a surprise. I hope it's OK." I said nervously.

"Oh, no, it's great! Wow! Um, I get off of work here pretty soon, maybe we can hang out after that?"

"Yeah! That would be great! I tried to plan it as close to the end of your shift as I could, for that reason" I wondered if I sounded a bit crazy.