seventeen*

// don't ever let your mind stop you from having a good time //

My heart feels like it will jump out of my chest at any given second with the way it's beating. I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins as I arrange my books in the locker, the day having already ended. I can feel the light atmosphere around as well, teenagers excited to finally have the weekends arrive.

At least they have friends to spend it with.

I quickly push that out of my mind, not wanting negative thoughts in my head to dampen the day. Today will be the day that I can possibly gain an actual friend. Even though the risks are high, I don't want to feel cautious, something I have been feeling for a long time. Maybe it is time to let loose and see where it takes me. Perhaps I need to start being more optimistic for good things to happen in my life.

I even hum along to the tune of Friday by Rebecca Black when I walk home, the excitement finally getting to my head. Kris looks at me with an amused smile.

"Are you going to do something that I'm not aware of, or is there another reason why you're so excited?" For a split second, I believe she is being serious. My face relaxes a little when I realize that she's just teasing.

A lazy smile adorns my face. "Nope, I'm just excited to be away from school."

I hear her laugh and swear that she mutters the word "typical" under her breath. It is somewhat the truth that I am more than happy to be away from that place. The weekends are never spent learning about things that I probably won't remember when I enter society, nor will it be spent being gossiped about by students.

Weekends are just about me.

Wasting no time when I get to my room, I speed through my homework. I'm glad everything is fairly easy that I need not spend too much time finding the answers. Usually, I'd be more of a procrastinator but I really don't want to spend the weekends worrying about homework.

"Is something happening this weekend?" Kristiana looks at me, confused. I suppose my actions aren't as subtle as I think they are.

"Nope, I'm just happy to relax. It's been a long week." I even add a yawn for extra effect. I peek to see that she still looks unsure, and I wonder if I'm overdoing it. "Okay... I guess." Kris blinks at me a few times before walking away. I let out a soft sigh of relief.

The day goes by like a breeze after that, making me an absolute nervous wreck when Saturday came. I have already planned my outfit in advance, knowing that choosing one in the morning will just make me more of a mess.

By noon, I'm starting to get worried that Kris won't leave for her date with Tom in time. I need her to go before me so I can meet Brian without being suspicious and avoid her questions. Besides, we all know how terrible I am with lying.

I sit at my desk as I click my pen nervously. I look through the tiny gap of my semi-closed door, hoping to see Kris coming out of her room to leave for her date soon.

I jump from my chair lightly when I finally catch a glance of my sister's long blonde hair flowing down her back. She looks gorgeous in a long-sleeved white dress with some leggings underneath. I turn my attention to the paper on my desk that has some doodles on it.

As I expected, Kristiana comes and knocks the door. I don't say anything in response but she opens the door wider and smiles at me. "Well Cass, I'm going to go. You know how to survive but if you need anything, just call me." I laugh and wave goodbye at her before she closes the door.

As soon as I can't hear her footsteps anymore, I quickly change into a nicer outfit which is just a sweater that has a fox on it and some jeans. The sweater is just the right amount of warmth I need for the weather outside.