Ride

"I am so, so sorry, Juliet," Leon mumbled an apology.

He couldn't find the right words to say as soon as Juliet finished her story. His heart ached in agony hearing her explain herself. She didn't need to, but she trusted him enough to let out her pain and suffering. He held onto Juliet's hands tighter, bringing them up to his face. He kissed her knuckles gently, trying to comfort her the best he could. Juliet smiled sadly at him.

"I didn't mean to lie about not knowing how to use a gun," Juliet spoke, feeling guilty. "I just... I can't believe I'm still so damn weak after all these years."

"Don't say that," Leon interrupted her, standing up from his seat. "You are not weak, Juliet. Don't think of yourself like that, you hear me?"

"I-"

"You are a survivor. And we're going to make it. Don't you lose hope, Juliet."

He had cupped her cheeks, making her look up at him. She finally nodded. He pressed a long kiss to her forehead and embraced her tightly. She hugged him back and thanked him. She didn't know what good it was telling Leon, the stranger she met just hours ago, her tragic backstory but she appreciated him listening to her. Maybe Leon wasn't a stranger after all. She pulled away from him, staring into his blue eyes. Leon caught himself staring back at her too. Leon pushed back her fringe, holding her face tenderly. The silence between them was comfortable, but it wasn't the time and place. Leon dropped his hands to his side, giving her a small smile. She let out a long breath before nodding.

"We're gonna make it," she said quietly, repeating Leon's words. "We're gonna get the hell out of here."

That's my girl, he thought. Leon grinned at her and kissed her forehead again. His eyes trailed down to her injury and paused. He took out the bandage from his pocket and cautiously asked if he could do it. She nodded and Leon set to work right away. She flinched the first time, but relaxed when Leon continued to console her as he tended to the injury. It didn't take long for him to wrap it up. She thanked him again as he brought her down slowly. He extended his hand and she took it. With a chuckle, they hurried out of the office and back into the lift. Leon pressed 'Upper' and the lift plunged down back into the darkness.

Reality set back in. They still had to get out of the place with danger lurking at every corner. Leon took a deep breath and Juliet squeezed his hand. He nodded at her. Once the lift reached their destination, they pulled out their guns and headed right towards the garbage disposal room. Electricity had returned, and they were able to open the chute door. Leon ran towards Ada, who regained consciousness after he shook her. He offered his hand for her to stand, but she ignored it. Leon caught her when she stumbled, but she pushed him away coldly.

"Don't push it, rookie," she said, dusting off her dress. She turned to look at her ruined trenchcoat and decided to leave it. "I'm going to NEST to finish my investigation and get that sample."

"Alone?" Leon asked. "I can't let you do that."

"Who are you to stop me?" she scoffed, walking away from them with her sprained ankle but Juliet stepped in front of her.

"I don't give a damn whether you are the FBI or not. We just saved your ungrateful ass from rotting inside this garbage room, and you want to cut us off? We're all trying to survive here, so how about you stop acting like an ignorant, self-centred bitch for once?"

Leon looked at Juliet in surprise, but he couldn't stop himself from breaking into a proud smile. Ada, on the other hand, was speechless as Juliet continued to glare at her. Ada finally raised her hands in defeat. Juliet turned away, walking out of the room briskly. Leon and Ada walked behind her. Once they reached the cable car, Ada used an ID wristband which allowed access inside. Ada and Juliet sat on opposite sides while Leon pulled the lever. The cable car doors closed and jerked to life. 

The ride was awkward and quiet. Ada broke the silence by apologising to both Leon and Juliet. She told them that her intention was to keep them safe, though she agreed her method was rather harsh. She wanted to make it up to them, but she couldn't go with them because she was a liability; she would only slow them down. She removed the ID wristband from her around her hand and held it up for Leon. Leon sat beside her and took it. Juliet eyed Ada's every move. Ada's sudden change in character was way too off. Juliet would even go as far as saying that she'd prefer Ada before she apologised to them. At least Juliet knew the Ada before wasn't faking it. Juliet felt her patience running out. She blamed the ride to NEST being too long. She just couldn't stand seeing Ada sidling up to Leon and placing a hand over his thigh casually. 

"Leon," Juliet interrupted authoritatively. 

Leon immediately snapped his head at Juliet while Ada leaned back in her seat, clearly dissatisfied but she managed to keep her cool. A slight smirk appeared on Juliet's lips, but she quickly hid it.

"We're reaching soon," she said, avoiding Ada's murderous stare.

Leon simply nodded as he stood up. He took out his gun just as the cable car stopped. The doors opened and Leon stepped out first.

"Be careful," Ada said, clearly to Leon but Juliet cut in.

"Don't worry about us, honey," she replied, sarcasm dripping from her tone.

Ada crossed her arms, forcing out a smile. Leon, still oblivious to the situation, waved at Ada as they left. Meanwhile, Juliet felt proud of herself. They approached the entrance to NEST, which was protected behind three sets of heavy doors. The white walls and bright lights were a stark contrast to the environment they have been in so far. The logo and company name 'Umbrella Corporation' was right smack in the middle of the room. A certain air of danger was apparent despite the front lobby being far too peaceful. 

Juliet, who was hunched over the computer at the counter, beckoned Leon over. She began typing on the keyboard but couldn't get access. Leon entered the office to find the login information. He found a post-it with the heading 'User Registration' and hurried back to Juliet. She quickly entered 'Guest' in the username. The computer beeped, showing a screen which allowed them to have access to the terminals for 24 hours. Juliet quickly scrolled through the computer, stumbling upon unopened emails with the label 'Urgent'.

"G-virus," Juliet read aloud, opening a confidential email to staff members. The email had been sent out just hours ago, stating the transfer of the G-virus to the other department.

"In the west area," Leon said next. "Got it."

Juliet looked up from the computer screen and faced Leon determinedly. "Let's get to it."