Chapter 4

It took Sherlock only a few seconds to solve the riddle. He had noticed at first glance that all the numbers on the note were prime numbers. The lowest was the two, the first prime number and the highest was the 101. That was the 25th prime number. So far, so easy. The only number that stood alone was the 23, the ninth prime number. If Sherlock's deduction was correct, which it almost always was, then it stood for the ninth letter of the alphabet, the 'I'. Quickly, Sherlock inset the other letters and started to read the message.

Dear Mr. Holmes, I am sure this little riddle is more than easy for you to solve, but let us start easy. The next message will be in your landladies' mail. The doctor is alive as long as you do as I say.

Sherlock narrowed his eyes angrily at the message. At least he knew now that John was still alive. What did they want from him? If they dared to hurt his John- No, he shouldn't think about that eventuality. It would only distract him.

He turned around and putting the note in the pocket of his jacket he hurried back to the flat. Why would they put it in Mrs. Hudson's mail and not his? Did they think that Mycroft checked Sherlock's post before it reached him, but didn't bother with the mail of his landlady? Whoever had abducted John, was very careful. That would make it a lot harder to track them down. At any other time Sherlock would be delighted at such a challenge, but not now.

The closer he got to the Baker Street, the quicker his heart started to beat. Probably because he had started to run at some point. Sherlock couldn't remember. When he finally got there, he was out of breath and sweating.  It was already late in the evening. There would be no mail before tomorrow morning, but Sherlock still hoped that something would be there. He searched the whole hallway. There was absolutely nothing there. Sherlock cursed loudly. How could he possibly wait until tomorrow?

There was no use in asking Mycroft to check the surveillance camera for the car they had obviously used to abduct John. There hadn't been a single surveillance camera in that street or anywhere near it. They had chosen the place well. Sherlock thought with a grim look on his face.

He went upstairs and laid down on the couch and informed Mycroft about the message. After a few minutes he stood up and started to pace. He needed more data! Sherlock didn't have enough facts to deduce anything reliable from it. And he had absolutely no idea how long he could keep his mind from straying off from the few facts he had and would start to imagine all kinds of possible scenarios and outcomes. Not for long he learned. And most of them made his heart clench painfully.

.....

Hope I explained the solution to the riddle not too weirdly. XD It's really short, I know, but I'll write the next chapter today and maybe finish it! XD Let's just say it's going to be John's POV again...>_> What am I going to do to him? ehehehe~