four.

smoke & mirrors

◤four◥

__________

__________

     Evan had a hard time keeping up with the conversation.

     Even though she worked for WICKED, she had never been told much. She was only told which official or council member to escort from where to where, to keep them safe. She wasn't told their names, their specific branch or anything of the sorts.

     The information was kept light and to the point. Only what they looked like. Only where to take them. Only what to watch out for.

     Janson said it was because an excessive amount of information about a person could be a distraction, perhaps even cause confusion. So Evan was told about their 'target' as much as anyone below her station and she wasn't sure how to feel about it.

     Garek said it was for their own protection, but for some reason, Evanna had a hard time believing that.

     Their job was dangerous enough as it was. Knowing a little more about the person they were supposed to protect wasn't going to make it any more dangerous. But Janson refused to give in. Even after she complained about it.

     He simply continued to give a less detail as possible without making her job impossible. He said that if she wanted to know more about them, she should just ask them herself. But Evan knew that Janson knew that most, if not all, officials and council members kept to themselves, as they were suspicious of almost everyone.

     So it was no surprise that Evan was having a hard time understanding what Chancellor Paige and the other council members were talking about. It was infuriating to say the least, but Evan knew better than to open her mouth and start asking questions.

     She would keep those to herself until after everyone left. Or perhaps she would just ask Teresa about it all. She seemed friendly enough and Chancellor Paige probably didn't want a guard in employment who barely knew anything of their work.

     Evan would be out of a job. Where would she go? Would they kick her out of the safe zone?

     She stopped herself.

     None of that would happen. She was rambling. In her own head, no less. She wouldn't be out of a job and they wouldn't leave her and dump her on the other side of the wall. She wasn't infected after all.

     Shaking her head slightly, she focused back on the conversation. Talking to herself and freaking herself out with improbable events had only made her more confused about what was happening in this meeting.

     She recognized one of the three council members to be the official she and Garek had protected in the underground. He had been so nervous then, but in this room, in front of Chancellor Ava Paige no less, he was radiating confidence and authority.