twelve.

smoke & mirrors

◤twelve◥

__________

__________

     "Where are we going?"

     Just like all her previous questions, this one was ignored. Evan let out a huff and crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned against the side of the moving van. The seats were uncomfortable and almost every muscle in her body ached, but she refused to show them.

     Gally only glanced at her as he kept his rifle aimed on her. Cliff was driving, occasionally looking over his shoulder to make sure she hadn't knocked Gally out. Him taking his eyes off the road every 2 minutes put Evanna even more on edge. It didn't help that the streets were crowded.

     Although the windows of the van were tinted, Evan could look out perfectly. She could see the people strolling about, face masks covering the lower half of their face. Others only had scarves or bandanas. She wondered if they knew the Flare was airborne. Nothing would prevent an infection. Only immunity.

     "It's Gally, right?" Evan spoke up, wanting to get rid of the deafening silence. She needed something to take her mind off of everything. She didn't want to think about how most of the people she saw now wouldn't be the same anymore in a year.

     He raised a brow, grip on the rifle tightening. "What's it to you?"

     "Just trying to get to know my kidnappers, that's all."

     She heard Cliff scoff from the driver's seat. "We ain't kidnappers. And you should consider yourself lucky you're still alive, WICKED scum."

     "Don't, Cliff," Gally said, eyes briefly glancing at the other boy before settling on Evanna again. "Don't give this shank the satisfaction."

     Shank

     Shank

     Shank

     Where had she heard that before?

     It sounded like a made-up word. What did it even mean? He didn't use it as a compliment, so it was something bad. But Evan felt like she would've guessed that even if he had used it in a different context.

     Something was gnawing at her brain. The feeling was familiar by now. A memory was trying to push its way out of the mess that was her subconscious. She knew the word. She had heard it before. She just couldn't remember where or who had said it. It was nothing short of frustrating.

     "What's wrong with you?" Gally suddenly asked.

     Evanna only realised then that she had been frowning. Her head hurt and her vision was a little blurry, but it wasn't anything unusual. She shook her head at him. "Nothing. I'm fine."