Chapter 9

"You don't throw a car away just because the battery's rundown."

                -On ending a friendship over a fight.

Three days. Katia had been home for three days and had not bothered to call Lev. The grating noise of his molars failed to be heard by him. Muscle clenched tighter in Lev's jaw, cause not by the effort of working on a bolt, but from the anger he felt. Everyone had notice the change in him.

Everyone but Lev. 

Lev's phone rang again. The noise jarred his nerves and pushed up his annoyance further. Pulling out the phone he silence the call when he saw it was Tina.

"Why can't people just leave me alone!" He snarled to himself. 

He found Katia's action disrespectful. She was a part of his family and didn't even want to stop by to say hi? How far gone was she? So consumed and obsessed with work she had left his world behind. The very people that had loved her and supported her was no longer sufficient for her needs. 

Was his family nothing more than disposable companions? He slammed the hood of the car closed at the thought.  A temporary placeholder until she got her fancy job to fulfil her needs for fulfilment. 

Why did he bother to even think of her? Katia had no place in his life, yet she consumed his thoughts. She had left them behind and their small town ways. Lev knew he had to face the facts. 

A fear had built as the months of silence passed. It reared its head and had suffocated Lev's conscience thoughts. It's pain had begun to manifest physically each time it resurfaced. Lev closed his eyes no longer wondering but believing. 

He was just not good enough for her anymore.