Chapter 26

"Dinner tonight?" Chloe asked as she threw her bag over her shoulder, preparing to leave for the day.

"Sure, I have nothing else to do," Lia said with a sigh.

"Still no word from Ben?" Faye asked gently, she was concerned for Lia. It had been hard to watch her slip more and more into a depression because of Ben's lack of communication.

"I had a text last night, they added a few more dates to the tour," Lia answered.

"It won't last forever." Chloe patted her on the shoulder as she passed. "Same time, same place?" She looked at Faye and Chloe who nodded. Chloe, on the other hand, looked as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders the last couple of days.

As Chloe left Silas entered, saying something to her in what she guessed was Dutch. She laughed and shook her head, answering him in the same language. Faye could feel Lia looking at her, watching for a reaction, but she was looking the other way as she gathered her things together. Lia had started to catch on to her feelings for Silas, and it had taken everything she had to pretend like she was clueless where he was concerned.

"You coming to dinner with us tonight Silas?" Lia asked, turning her attention to him.

"Am I invited?" Now Faye could feel his eyes boring into her back.

"I would love it. I haven't had the company of a charming man in a long while," Lia said after a tense moment of silence.

Silas looked at Faye until she turned around, feeling she had to say something. She smiled at them both. "Please come, Dr. DeGraff."

He nodded then turned to Lia asking her about Ben, and Faye felt that she could turn back around. She listened to them talk for a few moments then Lia left, and another tense silence surrounded them.

"How have you been liefje?" he asked softly.

Faye took a moment to compose herself before she answered. She hadn't had a private moment with Silas since he had left her house the same day that she had asked him to leave. It had been a relief to a certain extent because she didn't have to see him when she was at home, but she had missed him desperately.

"I've been fine, Dr. DeGraff, how have you been?" She closed her locker and turned to face him.

"I've been well. Are you sure you don't mind me joining you this evening? I know it has been a while since you, Lia, and Chloe have spent time together."

"I don't mind," Faye lied with a forced smile.

He tilted his head and watched her for a moment. "You're lying, I'll make an excuse-"

"No!" Faye said urgently. "You have to come, Lia's been curious enough about the situation as it is, if you don't come, she will wonder why."

"Very well," he said. "I saw the house is for sale, how is that going?"

"I couldn't say, I'm not the one handling it. I'll move when I'm told to." She forced another smile and moved to pass him, but he grabbed her hand as she did.

"Faye, can we meet before dinner?" his voice was low and urgent.

"Have things changed? Have you honored all of your promises?" she asked.

She had been kicking herself since their last conversation when she had told him to leave. He had implied that he loved her and that he wanted everyone to know it, but at the time it hadn't been enough. He had said he wanted to, not that he was going to, and she had needed to hear that he was going to.

That a man like Silas DeGraff would want her amazed and awed her, and the conclusion she had come to in the early morning hours, when she couldn't sleep, was that she didn't trust him because she didn't have faith in herself, she didn't believe that she was capable of catching the interest of a man like Silas.