Chapter 20

Faye hadn't allowed herself to think about all of the what might have beens, there was no point. Silas had told her that he needed her to trust him, but trust him for what purpose? She knew he would never hurt her, at least not intentionally. He had said there were things he needed to work out, problems that had followed him, but he hadn't said what those problems were or what would happen when those problems were resolved. He hadn't told her he loved her, and he hadn't said that he wanted a relationship of any kind.

She also had a feeling that whatever his problems were, they involved Chloe. What she couldn't figure out was how Chloe factored into the situation. Had they become close and he had promised her something, did she believe they were in a relationship, did it have something to do with her problem or was she the problem? He and Chloe seemed close and Faye was trying to work out a way to casually ask Chloe about Silas in hopes that she would reveal something, but that somehow that seemed dishonest and distrustful.

Silas had asked her to trust him and going behind his back was not trusting him. Whatever was going on was not something that he wanted to share with her, and she should respect that because she was sure he had his reasons.

It was Faye's first day back at work and she stopped by her locker, placing her stuff inside and hanging her badge around her neck, she heard the door behind her open as Lia entered, and Faye's eyes grew wide as she took in Lia's black eye and busted lip.

"What happened?" Faye asked with concern as she moved towards her.

"An unruly patient, and as Ben said, I forgot to duck," she said wryly as she hugged Faye. "How are you doing, are you feeling better?" She stood back and eyed Faye. "You still look a little pale to me."

Faye smiled and hugged her back, it was good to be with a friend.

"I'm much better," Faye insisted as she pulled away.

"Silas took good care of you? Chloe and I offered to rush in and save the day, but he said he had it under control, although he didn't go into much detail." Faye recognized Lia's fishing.

"He made sure I had medicine, fluids, and soup, my breathing was clear and my heart strong." Faye smiled. "He did everything a good doctor would do." She would keep the bit about sleeping in his arms to herself. No one needed to know about that.

"Good but let me know if you need a break today, O.K? Don't over do it." Lia moved to her locker and started to put her things away.

"So, what's new, what did I miss? Chloe said something about Ben being on a book tour? Isn't that rather sudden?" Faye watched her friend who buried her face in her locker.

"Kind of, I knew it was coming, but I wasn't sure when it would be until a few weeks ago. I must have forgotten to mention it," Lia mumbled.

"Or he didn't tell you until the last minute," Faye said, watching her friend blush. "How long is he gone for?"

"About six weeks, he should be back in time for Thanksgiving." She shut her locker, hanging her badge around her neck. "It's exciting news about Silas, isn't it?" Lia asked, changing the subject.

Faye felt her heart stop then start again at triple pace. "Is there news?" Faye responded, doing her best to keep her face calm.

"Yes, he's accepted the position here on staff. He'll be replacing Dr. Jensen as head of the department. He'll be our boss. He took his exams and is certified to practice now. I'm surprised you didn't know. I thought he would have mentioned it since you two have been seeing so much of each other lately." Faye recognized it as another attempt to fish information out of her.

"Hardly, and most of our discussions had to do with how I felt and did I take my medicine. He didn't even mention that you forgot to duck." Faye forced a grin, not allowing herself to acknowledge the pain in her chest. He could have told her that much at least.

Love Me True (Love Me Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें