Chapter 8

Faye knocked on Dr. DeGraff's door promptly at seven o'clock. He was holding a phone to his ear as he answered the door and waved her into the apartment. She noted he looked good in his slacks and dress shirt and guessed that for him it constituted dressing down. Her eyes quickly scanned the apartment and thought that it looked different with all his things scattered around, not that there was a lot of clutter, but there was a laptop, books, papers, and a suit jacket on the back of a chair. It was nice that he wasn't a neat freak that always had to have everything in its place.

He was speaking in another language and his voice sounded amused as if whatever he was talking about was pleasant. He also sounded familiar with the person he was talking to as if he knew them well.

"Tot ziens," he said before ending the conversation and turning towards Faye.

"Would you like me to drive?" he offered.

"No, I thought it would be nice to walk. It's not far." She turned around and exited the apartment. His presence was overwhelming in the small space. It was one of the reasons she wanted to walk, the idea of being enclosed with him in a small car was almost enough to make her panic.

Faye led the way across the courtyard and picked up the insulated bag that she had sat on the bottom of the steps. "Are you ready?" she asked, watching as he locked the apartment door behind him.

"Yes," he agreed as they left the quiet atmosphere of the shaded courtyard and stepped out onto the street. There wasn't a parking spot to be had since people had started to arrive for the fireworks display that would be on the river in a few hours. Although, she didn't think he was a man that worried about parking, he was one who just naturally found a spot when he wanted one.

"Where are we going?" he asked as he fell into step beside her.

"I know a guy, and he lets me sneak up to the roof of one of the tallest buildings to watch the fireworks. It beats fighting the crowds down on River Street." She felt awkward like they were forcing the conversation and she knew the awkwardness was her fault because she was so self-conscious.

"What's in the bag?" he asked.

"It's a picnic dinner. I did promise to have dinner with you." And she always kept her promises.

"So you did, you didn't bring beer, did you? I don't want to have to carry you home, not that it would be that hard, you're so little."

Faye blushed at the thought, enjoying the fact that he had referred to her as little. "Don't worry Dr. DeGraff, I only packed water and tea," she assured him

"Please call me Silas," he suggested. "I think after all that we have been through we can be on first name terms."

Faye silently thought about his offer. It would feel odd saying his first name, but she couldn't think of a good enough reason to object. "Alright, but at the hospital, you'll be Dr. DeGraff," she insisted.

"And you will be Nurse Brantley," he agreed.

They walked in silence. Silas didn't seem to feel the need to make conversation and Faye kept wracking her brains for something witty and charming to say. She was working so hard on it that when he finally spoke, she almost jumped at the shock of it.

"Relax Faye, I won't bite," he said softly in her ear as he took her elbow to escort her across the street.

"I'm trying," she said between clenched teeth, in part because he had called her on the fact that she was overly tense but also because she found his light touch unnerving.

"Perhaps that's the trouble, stop trying," he suggested.

"A few weeks ago, when we first met, I pegged you as the type who didn't like to have personal conversations, that you were a person who preferred to keep their distance. I respect that, but so far, no matter what I say or do, I always seem to be embarrassing myself in front of you, and it makes me hesitant to talk about anything for fear that I will either offend you or embarrass myself again." She said it all in a rush as if she was pulling off a band-aid.