Date?

Maya's POV

The weekend came and went without a word from Riley. I felt a tap on my shoulder in the hallway.

"Riley?" I asked turning. 

"Not Riley. Lucas," he said, a frown formed on my face.

"What do you want, Lucas?" I said bitterly.

"I wanted to see if you were up for tutoring after school today," he said.

"I can't," I sighed. "I have something."

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing, just a thing," I told him. 

"Is this about you and Riley getting into a fight?"

"What the hell? You know about that?" I asked annoyed.

"I just assumed cause she's been going around trying to find you," he said.

"I should probably go look for her," I told him.

I walked through the hallways and bumped into Riley making me drop my phone. It remained on the floor as Riley and I stared at each other.

"Hey, I wanted to say I'm sorry, I may have overreacted," Riley apologized.

"No, it was my fault. I just don't know if I can tell my mom," I admitted.

There was a buzzing noise and it took us a few moments to realize where it was coming from. Lucas came over and picked up my phone.

"Oh good, you found each other. You dropped your phone," he said. "You got a text too."

"I thought you didn't have service for the rest of the month," Riley said.

"Your parents were nice enough to pay for it," I explained. "Your parents thought it was necessary in case of emergencies."

We both watched as Lucas' eyebrows furrowed while he read the text.

"What is it, Lucas?" I asked confused.

"Are you going on a date with someone later today?" he asked. "Is that the thing you were busy with?"

"What?" Riley and I both yelled at the same time.

"Maya..." Riley said sadly looking at me.

"Give me my fucking phone, Lucas," I said reaching for it.

"No," he said holding it just out of reach. "Some guy named Kermit said, 'Can't wait for you to come over later.' What's that about?"

"Give me my phone, Lucas, and let me explain," I said snatching my phone away. "I promise you, Riley, this isn't what it looks like."

I grabbed Riley by the hand and led her into an empty classroom, shutting the door behind us.

"Are you cheating on me?" Riley asked almost in tears.

"No, I would never do that to you, Riley."

"Then who's Kermit and why are you going over to his house tonight?" Riley asked almost yelling.

"Kermit's my father," I told her.

The anger and hurt on her face instantly disappeared.

"That's what my mom wanted to talk to me about yesterday. He invited me over to meet his wife and daughter, my sister," I told her. "Turns out he lives in the city too."

"Are you still mad at me for not telling my mom?" I asked her.

"No, you'll tell her when you're ready," she said. "I'm sorry I got jealous and accused you of cheating. I like you so much that I can't think straight sometimes."

"I like you so much that I can't think straight sometimes, so I guess that makes two of us."