Bye, Maya

Maya's POV

"Girls!" Riley's mom yelled from the kitchen.

"Yeah, mom?" Riley shouted back.

"Dinner's ready!" She yelled back up.

Riley and I went down the stairs into their kitchen.

"Chicken or steak, Maya?" Mrs. Matthews asked.

"Um, I was actually gonna head home," I informed them.

"You can stay for dinner," Riley offered.

"No, I don't want to trouble you," I said to her mom.

"Stay, it's no trouble, honey," Mrs. Matthews said. "And you're too thin."

I guess I'm staying. "Steak, please," I finally answered.

Sitting at the table already was Riley's parents and a little boy with curly brown hair.

"This is my brother August," Riley introduced him.

"Hi, call me Auggie," he said sweetly holding his hand out for me to shake it.

"Maya," I introduced myself while shaking his hand. "How old are you?"

"I'm this many," he said holding up 6 fingers.

I chuckled at this as Mrs. Matthews handed me a plate with my food on it.

Riley's POV

Maya was being so cute with Auggie.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked out of curiosity.

"No, I'm an only child," she answered.

"Must be nice," I joked.

"Hey!" Auggie yelled making everyone else at the table laugh.

Maya's phone started buzzing. She took it out of her pocket and unlocked it.

"I'm sorry, my mom just texted me to come home," she said. "Thank you for dinner."

She turned to me, "I need to get my stuff from your room."

"Of course, I'll get it with you."

Maya put her books and supplies into her backpack. She hugged me and thanked me for inviting her over and grabbed her jacket and headed out the door.

"Wait," I said not wanting her to go.

She turned to me confused. I took a step to close the gap between us. Our faces were inches apart. With my heart pounding in my chest, I leaned in and connected our lips. I could feel Maya relax and ease into the kiss. 

When it ended, we stood there with our foreheads leaning on each other, processing the kiss we just shared. The connection between us felt like a shock of electricity.

Maya was the first to pull away making me frown at the loss of physical contact with her. She blinked a few times after staring into space for a moment.

"I'll see you Monday, Riley," she hurriedly said before walking out of my room and out my front door.

What did I do? I probably just scared Maya off for good I thought as rested my forehead on the door frame. 

"Bye, Maya."