Chapter 20

There is no mercy for my heart. There is no relief for the pain in my soul. Nothing can stop the tsunami of emotion wrecking me.

     I'm curled in Zivon's bed, it's been a week since that day. The smell of Zivon is slowly fading from the bed sheets, dwindling day by day along with the hope of him being alive. Almost non-existent now. It scares the shit out of me.

     I haven't left this bed, I don't remember the day. I only eat dinner, that's all I can keep down. Sometimes I aimlessly wander the compound. I don't know why. I'm not thinking straight, but I don't care. 

     Feliks is gone, he's the closest thing I have to a friend. My legs are carrying me now, but I'm not sure where to. Walking down dark corridors, time is non-existent. The smell in the air reminds me of my first day here, and I almost break down for the hundredth time. 

     Arms suddenly wrap around my body, and I'm pulled backward. Stumbling to regain my balance, I notice I'm in the small, stuffy control room I was in before I left to what I thought would be California. 

     A silhouette lingers in the shadows of the room, and I'd recognize the shape of the body anywhere. The height, stance, and bulk of the character giving his identity away. It can't be though, it's simply not possible. 

     The figure steps forward, allowing his face to be illuminated by the computer monitors. "Feliks," I gasp. 

     I throw myself into him, and he pulls me tight. He lets out a small grunt, and I pull back to see whats wrong. Red stained gauze lines his left arm, dark circles surround his eyes. 

     All at once, the fog that has caged my mind for the past week is cleared. It's as if I can feel the gears begin to turn again, as I process everything. "We have to change the bandages, they're defiantly dirty. It could cause an infection," My voice comes out monotone. 

     Feliks chuckles. "So those are your first words to a dead man?" He laughs. 

     "On second thought, where the FUCK have you been?!" I'm almost mad now. Why would he allow me to think he was dead for a fucking week?

     "Shh krasota. All will be explained. Sorry to grab you. If this is an inconvenient time..." He trails off. Sarcastic asshole...

     "Start talking malen'kiy trakh," I spit back (little fuck).

     "Okay, okay." He throws his hands up in a display of surrender. "After I was shot, I watched them take Zivon away. There was nothing I could do, and for that I am sorry. I was unarmed. I heard Zivon yell not to come after him, and a command is a command no matter the circumstance. I laid lifeless, knowing it was the only way to survive. After I saw you fall to the floor, I stumbled away. Then I realized I had just accidentally faked my own death, and decided it could help us." 

     "Help us how?" I cut in. 

     "Hold on krasota, I'm getting there. I can't go after Zivon, due to his wish. But you can. See these profiles on the walls?" Feliks crossed the room, pointing to the fliers on the walls. I nodded my head yes. 

     "These are all Italian mob members. The Italians owe us a little favor," He spoke with a sly smile, wiggling his eyebrows. 

     "And...." I pushed him. 

     "If you can coordinate with the Italians, we can get them to help us bring Zivon back."

     "And what makes you think Zivon is even alive still," tears sprung to my eye, as my voice was dripping with doubt. 

     "Well dear, while I was 'dead' I did a little research. Zivon is definitely alive, but most likely not for long. The German mob is holding Zivon, using him to draw us out. But they're probably starting to see by now it isn't working." A combination of relief and guilt brushed over me, as I wondered if I could have done something sooner. 

     Feliks must have seen it in my eyes, as he pulled me into a one armed hug. "It isn't your fault krasota," He hummed. 

     "Why would the Italian mob even listen to me?" My voice cracked.

     "I may have spread a few rumors to them that you are our next in line after me..." He spoke as if on egg shells, wondering if I would be mad at him for involving me in this. His body tensed.

     After a few moments of silent, I slowly nodded against his chest. "I'll do it," I whispered. 

     "Really?!" He sounded surprised. 

     "Really." I confirmed. Shockingly, my voice was firm and strong. 

     I'll do what ever it takes, I'll stop at nothing. I will learn to be ruthless, learn to destroy. Zivon is a part of me now, and without him I lose myself. 

     I wont let that happen.