Chapter 3 ~ Kat's POV

Chapter 3~

Kat’s Point of Veiw~

“Hey, wake up,” someone utters as they shake me lightly and I groan. “Get up, we’re late.”

“Go away,” I nearly growl as I turn over in bed and pull the sheets closer around me. Suddenly the sheets are ripped away and I hiss at how harsh the cold air can be in the mornings. So I shoot up with a glare towards Lily who steps back with both hands raised up in defense.

“We’re late for our classes,” she informs. “Your first class is Advanced Bio and you have it with Mr. Wasemann who hates to have anyone late for the first day of class. You’re already starting off badly.” She sighs as she sits down on a chair eyeing me from there for a while, before I sigh and finally get up to get ready, rushing through to get dressed. Not twenty minutes after I'm ready to leave with my hair tied up into a ponytail because I don’t have enough time to do anything with it. We run through the halls until she leaves me in front of a classroom with a simple good luck. She runs off as fast as she can down the hallways towards the right; I sigh as I reach out to take hold of the door knob and push inward opening the door. I had heard murmurs from the teacher lecturing the class already, but everything is quiet once the door creaks and I stand there awkwardly. I feel a lump rise in my throat as everyone turns to eye me as if I'm an alien. Almost like things hadn’t changed from every other school I'd ever gone to, which makes my heart begin to ram into my ribs and my eyes tear up. I'm being rejected here too! The school made exclusively for people like me!

Can we help you?” Asks the male teacher who I assume is Wasemann.

I had gotten so caught up in being nervous about this that I had ended up just standing at the door staring off into space feeling utterly lost. “Umm...I-I’m Kat.”

“So in other words you’re late?” He arches a brow as he sighs. “Don’t make a habit out of it, now find a seat quickly, we were going over the material you will be learning in this class." I spot a seat in the far right-hand corner and I trudge towards it, but as I shuffle through the bags that had been thrown on the ground, I'm nearly tripped by this beautiful blonde who smirks as I stumble. I almost sigh in relief as I finally reach the seat and sit down, putting my bag onto the desk and letting my head rest on my arms as I bury my face in them, seeking comfort. I feel a light tug on my hair and am about to groan aloud, ready to growl at the person, but when I look up I see Jake grinning at me brightly.

“Seems we have the same first class,” he whispers cheerfully, trying to avoid being called out by the teacher.

“Yeah,” I reply with a small smile, happy that I'm not completely alone despite the cruel looks I had received when I had first entered the classroom. “What have I missed?”

“Nothing, he was ranting about DNA,” he says grimly, obviously bored. “Said something about how in this class we’ll be learning why we’re different from others and things like that.”

That makes me curious, to learn why I'm different, and why so many reject me for this, and maybe even finding out how to get rid of this curse I had been blessed with. The class ends with Mr. Wasemann still reading out the class rubric. I hope not all my classes will be like this...

I'm happy to discover that all my classes are not, in fact, as boring as science; after having to sit through the weirdest of classes with Ms. Francis (who taught Talents 101) telling us we would be practicing our powers in order to perfect them, I met Dr. Lankford - who said just to call him Lankford - who told us he’d be training us in the arts of fencing and swordplay until we could use a sword - I mean a foil - to overpower firearms, making me wonder what it was we were training for. In drama with Mrs. Brock, although she was the nicest, most cheerful teacher so far, I couldn’t help but think something in her head had been switched off - like her sanity - when she told us we’d be learning how to act like completely different people. In other words, learn how to develop being a total different person - almost like we weren’t even ourselves. Cam was in that class, but the entire time he was facing away and acting rather strange which had me on the edge.

I know he doesn’t like it here at all by the way he had been acting around Lily, Jake, and Terrance, but why is he ignoring me? Had I done something wrong? Around lunch I begin getting rather nervous, until Terrance comes towards us and stares into Cam’s face for a bit before saying,

“Where did you get that black eye?” He gapes at Cam’s face who looks up and glares straight at Jake, causing me to gasp when I see the purple mass of bruises surrounding his left eye. Had he encountered people who hurt him, like that girl from earlier who had tried to trip me?

“What happened to you?” I ask as I instantly make my way to him to take a closer look at his swollen face.

He only looks away from me and I sigh, knowing he'll never tell me what happened if someone had hurt him. Jake on the other hand was more persistent than I,

“So who did it?” He presses. “Come on man, I’ll help you get back at them. Just tell me who did it.” Persistent little bugger, isn't he?

“I don’t need your help getting back at anyone,” Cam growls as he turns to swing at Jake; he suddenly freezes mid-swing and stares across the room. Jake frowns, utterly shocked that Cam had even considerd hitting him; as was I. Just then, the room explodes with a burst of loud laughter; I swivel around to find the source. A group of noisily talking boys had just marched into the lunchroom with a group of girls in tow. Cam makes his way past Jake before suddenly stopping and turning to Jake with a wicked-looking grin.

“You said you wanted to help, right?” He inquires and Jake breaks into a grin as he follows Cam, the two of them making their way towards the guys. Cam picks up a textbook from the lunch table - ignoring the girl’s protest - and he suddenly swings it hard enough to hit the guy straight in the jaw, making him stumble back as he mutters, “What the hell?”

Cam slams him into the brick wall and Jake stops the guy who was next to him by slamming his fist into the guy’s stomach making him heave; Jake then drop-kicks him, making him drop heavily onto the floor. Cam leans in close to the guy,

“Derek and Kenny, huh?” Cam smirks evilly making my blood run cold for a bit.

“How do you know our names?” Derek asks, looking more terrified than he probably meant to.

“I did my research,” Cam growls. “And no one messes with me. Now what the hell did you take from my room?”

Derek suddenly smiles a bit as the corner of his mouth tilts up and he leans in and whispers something inaudible to Cam, who pulls back a bit - seemingly calm - then smiles a tight smile that is more plastic than any expression I've seen from him in a long time.

“I’ll be back in a bit okay?” He walks back to me leaning in to brush his lips against my cheek before turning to go, pausing at the doors to look over at Jake. “You can let him go now.”

Jake gets up, confused, as Derek helps Kenny up and they start walking away; Lily calls after them, “Wait! Cam! I’m coming with you!”

Cam seems utterly annoyed at this, “ No, you are not.”

“ I can read their minds, Cameron. I am coming with you, whether you like it or not,” she replies fiercely.

“Ooh, you’d better listen to her, she knows your secret!” Derek taunts him.

I figure Cam will tell her no again and hit Derek in the face, so it surprises me a little when he sighs, “Fine, you can come, just don’t say anything stupid,” he looks from her, to me, and back to her. She nods once.

“Can I come?” I ask, already knowing the answer is no.

“Kat, trust me on this one, you don’t want to,” Lily answers under the watchful glare of my boyfriend.

They saunter off and I'm left standing there next to Jake, “What was that all about?” I ask him.

He shrugs his shoulders as we stand there watching them leave.

A/N: Dedicated to our wonderful editor CeeCee! You rock girly! ♥ (From Nic and Bluey)

Yesh! I finally wrote something again now...Comments please. c: -Blue