Heavy

SAGE'S POV

"Fight, fight, fight, fight..."

The crowd on the dance floor was chanting, catching my attention. I moved towards the commotion, pushing my way through. When I got to the middle I saw Randy, some guy I only knew in passing. I knew Angel didn't really know him either, so I wondered why he was even there.

Maybe he came with a mutual friend?

Then I saw Carlos, who looked like he was ready to rip Randy's head off. It was disturbing to see him so angry.

Then I saw Angel, cowering behind Carlos and barely standing straight.

I went to him first.

"Baby, can you tell me what's going on?" I reached out to grab him, but he pushed away.

"No, Randy, I said don't fucking touch me!" He snapped. I frowned, and realization dawned on me.

"He touched you?" Angel looked up at me, his eyes softening.

"Sage? Where were you? What took you so long? He was going to hurt me." My heart ached as his eyes welled up.

"I'm sorry, baby," I said, angry tears pricking my eyes.

"Please don't leave me again," he pleaded, wrapping his arms around me. I shut my eyes, enveloping his shaking figure.

"I'll never leave you," I promised.

"Fuck you, Randy. You need to get the hell out of here," Carlos growled. I glanced at Randy's smug face, and that dickhead smile he was wearing, and my vision turned red.

I let go of Angel and approached Carlos, placing a hand on his shoulder. He turned to me, his eyes softening a little.

"I got it from here," I said lowly. Something flashed in his eyes — content or concern, I wasn't sure. Carlos glanced back at Randy and snorted.

"You're fucked now." I looked at Randy's face, jaw clenching.

"Take Angel out to the car, please. When I'm done here, we're leaving and the party's over." Carlos nodded in agreement. He turned and attempted to pull Angel away, but he refused, finding the strength to yank his arm from Carlos' grip.

"I'm staying, Carlos," he said, and though I knew he wanted to sound firm, his voice shook. "You go."

"You're insane if you think I'm leaving you," Carlos said simply, wrapping an arm around Angel's shoulder, but he made no move to leave.

I turned back to Randy, and he still wore that unbothered expression on his face. My blood was boiling.

"What's the matter, Sage? We were only having some fun." I took one long stride and was inches from him now.

"You should go, Randy," I warned, my voice dangerously low as I kept my eyes on his.

"Why? I'm sure we can all have fun together." My fist hit his jaw in one quick motion, and Angel gasped loudly behind me. Randy stumbled back, but stood straight and laughed darkly, before swinging at me, hitting my cheekbone. I ignored the pain that shot through my face, swinging and hitting the other side of his face. He fell to the ground this time, cradling his cheek.

"Now, why'd you have to go and ruin everyone's fun?" I asked, looking down at him. I waited to see if he'd get up and try to hit me again, and when he didn't, I turned to the crowd. "Party's over," I bellowed, and everyone groaned.

People gradually began finding their friends, or their dates, or their hookups, and soon enough everyone was gone.

I'd turned back to see Angel and Carlos, but they were gone. I knew Tommy was gone, too — he'd left earlier with a girl he met.