The Oarers of the Past Part 4

I hated this. I hated having to walk into this school, covered by someone that I really wasn't. My disguise cloaked me from prying minds, from people who wanted to get to know the real me. The real me would be talking in the ancient language of the Oarers, the LOST language of the Oarers.

But then no one would actually understand what I was saying.

So I was driven to speaking in regular, accented English. My accent was odd, maybe slightly British at times. My voice simply wasn't suited for speaking such a simple language, that was so vague and not descriptive. Each sentence in "English" would take me a minute to describe in Oarer, because Oarer was so detailed and in depth.

For a minute though, I completely forgot about everything. About not fitting in, about being an Oarer, about faking my character...for today, I was going to be Ronnie, high school girl. For today, my life would be much less dangerous, much less worrisome, much less deadly. Today was going to be my day, whether or not others would accept me as Ronnie.

As i slipped into the school among the shoving crowd, I slipped into character.

"OMG, are you the NEW GIRL?" A blonde haired girl asked me, her voice squeaky and high pitched.

"Like, OMG, I totally AM!" I replied, hoping that my language sounded normal and natural. Observing people speak in their little high school way had not really helped; there were so many abbreviations and synonyms that I just couldn't make it all click. Oh well. If I said something wrong, or sounded funny, I could always use Magic to reverse time or make the person listening to me lose their memory...partially (okay, completely. I hadn't mastered the art of partial memory destruction YET.)

Surprisingly, the blonde girl reacted in a completely normal way, asking me "What's your name?" to which I replied, "My name is like, totally, Ronnie."

My words were sounding funny in my ears, almost ear-piercingly STUPID. No one should ever say "like" and "totally" in the same sentence; I made a mental note to myself, before mentally slapping myself for making mental notes, because I was in character. Forget about acting like Ronnie. I AM Ronnie.

A sudden breeze seemed to flow through the hallway, and the girl who was talking to me turned around, awestruck. I could almost literally see the pupils of her eyes dilute into little hearts and her hand actually reached for her heart, so she looked lovestruck. No, it was pretty obvious she WAS in love.

I didn't look at the guy she was so obviously in love with, because there I had a small fear that it might, by some stroke of bad luck, be Brian. I don't know why, but I had watched him all day yesterday, and I just loved that kid (strictly in a platonic way, of course, although he still hasn't MET me). He did the sweetest, nicest things throughout the course of the day, from saying "Hi" to all his teachers, to helping the janitors clean up after school. But what surprised me the most was that he was a counselor, after-school. I would have thought that would have been in his school records, or that he would be a little more popular. I wished I could talk to him about his job, but I still hadn't introduced myself.

Why, had I taken such a strong fascination in this one mortal boy?

Because I had skimmed through most of the records at the school (Magic, of course), and frankly, everyone at the school had sounded like 1 of 4 things:

A) an idiot.

B) an idiot airhead,

C) a jock.

d) a total, TOTAL nerd.

Brian was the only one who had seemed remotely approachable, and now I could see why he was a counselor. At first sight, he seemed kind of lonely, but now I noticed that the smaller, weaker looking kids all said "hi" to him in an inexplicably perky way. The weaker kids were always less perky, most of the time. However, here, when they say Brian's face, they immediately perked up, like a lightbulb had been turned on in their heads. Or a happiness switch had turned on inside of them. Basically, like he radiated happiness.

I decided that it was time I introduced myself.