Chapter Two

~~~~

Dedicated to kyoto2thebay for the awesome trailer to the side! Thanks :D x

~~~~

I woke up to the sound of beeping.

            At first I thought it was birds chattering outside my window, and that the bright light on my eyelids was the sun dappling through a chink in my curtains and waking me up for another long day of school.

            But then I realized that the light across my eyelids was a blinding, angelic white, and I'd never heard a bird make that sound before. Unwillingly, I opened my eyes, and was immediately hit by a heavenly glow so bright I had to squint and blink multiple times to try and let my corneas adjust to the blindingly bright light.

            I swallowed past a thickening lump in my throat. My mouth most likely resembled the desert, it was that dry. My whole body felt numb and sluggish, except for my head, which was pounding slightly, and my leg, which was twitching uncontrollably. My arm felt especially numb, and I turned my head to the side to see an IV machine and a drip inserted into the flesh of my hand. It penetrated through the skin and into my bloodstream, and my stomach lurched in disgust. I hated blood and anything medical related, so this was like torture for me. I'd definitely never be a nurse or doctor.

            There was also a heart monitor, which was the source of the annoying beeping. It beeped at a constant, steady rhythm, which was reassuring. At least I wasn't dead. That would really put a dampener on my social life.

            "Oh, thank God you're okay," a voice suddenly said, and I whipped my head to the side to see my mother rushing over to me, my father following closely behind. She threw her arms around my neck and hugged my close, and I shut my eyes, savoring the feel of her arms around me as she hugged me close. Some of her long raven hair brushed my face, and I resisted the urge to sneeze.

            "What happened?" I whispered. I still had no idea why I was even in the hospital.

            She leant back and looked into my eyes quizzically. "Well, we were hoping you could tell us that. We were doing the dishes and you were on the roof and we heard a knocking on the door and we opened it to find you lying on the pavement below the roof. We thought you'd fallen, but the doctor says physically you're fine."

            It all came rushing back to me in a flood of memories. Finding the Voiceless Stranger on my roof, the words exchanged, and then stepping off the roof. But he had caught me, hence why I wasn't injured. He must've put me down, knocked on the door and bailed so that he wouldn't have to face my parents. What other explanation was there for how I had landed in the hospital without a scratch?

            "The Voiceless Stranger," I gasped out, sitting bolt upright. My head swum dizzyingly in protest, and I slowly lowered myself back to the mattress and shut my eyes for the briefest of seconds.

            "What, honey?" my mother asked gently, probably thinking I was babbling useless nonsense due to the fact I was hooked up to the IV. Her fingers stroked through my hair, making me want to fall back to sleep. But I couldn't. Not until I had the story out in the open.

            "The Voiceless Stranger saved me. He talked to me on the roof and I fell off. He saved me."

            "Honey, you were lying on the ground when we opened the door," my mother pointed out, not unkindly.