Chapter Twenty-Three

Going back to school and facing life was harder than I anticipated. With the cold settling over New York and the general gloominess of a breakup and being hunted by a psychotic biochemist, facing school and, inevitably Colton, made me want to drill a hole in my eyes. At least then I'd have an excuse to stay home.

But I knew eventually I'd have to step up to the music, so the first day back I huddled tighter into my trench coat and practically ran for the newspaper office, keeping my head down so that I didn't have to face any stares of familiar faces.

The newspaper offered a welcoming warmth, and I gladly slipped into the small cocoon to find my redheaded best friend holding a cup toward me. "I bring coffee."

Teeth chattering, I gladly accepted the steaming beverage. "Have I mentioned you're the best friend in the world?"

"You have, but reminders are always gladly accepted," Chloe replied, taking a seat at her computer. "Haven't heard much from you for the last couple of days. How are you doing?"

I booted up my computer and tried to focus on the task at hand instead of anything else. "I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine? Everything's fine."

"Ah, denial," Chloe said, nodding sagely. "I was wondering which breakup stage you were up to."

"No breakup stages," I told her. "Colton told me he wanted nothing to do with me and then hasn't called or attempted to make contact since. Obviously he's over it, and so am I. I'm totally okay now."

"Of course you are," Chloe sing-songed, typing something into her computer.

"I am!" I told her. "Really."

"So sobbing into the phone at two o'clock the other morning to me was just a one-time relapse, then."

"I got into my mother's liquor cupboard and stole some pinot grigio. I cannot be blamed for that."

"Oh, so drunk you is the only one who isn't in denial."

Throwing a stapler at her was my only response, which was met with a flurry of giggles, frustratingly enough.

"Let's just forget all of that," I said. "The newspaper office is meant to be our sanctuary, so let's not allow any bad vibes to ruin it."

"Too late," Chloe sing-songed, her large green eyes settling on something behind me.

I groaned. "What now?"

I spun around and was faced with bright brown eyes and the tumbling cascade of raven curls that characterized Alexi. She knocked on the door gently and flashed me a tentative smile. "Hey. Can I borrow Violet for a second?"

Chloe opened her mouth—probably to decline in a show of best friend loyalty—but I stood up and quieted her with a smile. "It's okay, Chlo. I'll be right back."

Feeling nervousness twist in my stomach, I followed Alexi out of the door and into the crowded corridor. Her slender ivory fingers played with the hem of her shirt, revealing that she was just as wary as I was.

"I tried calling a couple of times over the week," Alexi began. "It went to your voicemail and you never called back."

"Sorry," I said. "I wasn't really in the mood to talk. Is everything okay?"

"You tell me," she replied. "Look, I don't know what happened between you and Colton, but he's a mess."

"What do you mean?" I asked.