Chapter Six

~~~~

Dedicated to AloneInWonderland for the awesome banner! Thank you so much for your efforts; we love them!

~~~~

"I think we should let Colton sit with us."

            Lots of pairs of eyes snapped up and met mine, and Chloe's green ones glared accusingly. It was lunchtime, and all of us—meaning the cheerleading team and the football team—were bent over our meals at the cafeteria table, immersed in our own worlds. I'd been the one to break the silence.

            "What did you just say?" Courtney asked, her eyes meeting mine over her leafy salad. I had no idea how that got her through until she got home; it was literally only sprouts and types of lettuce, and I knew I'd die of starvation by the time I got home.

            "I think we should invite Colton to sit with us for lunch," I replied, steadfast. My eyes stared unwaveringly into her blue ones.

            "Tell me you're not talking about Colton Cross," Cherry Stark replied, her hand gripping the plastic bottle of water in her hand tightly. Her bouncy brown curls fell around her face, and the cheerleading uniform clung to her body like a second skin. "I mean, he's hot, but come on, Vi. The guy's a freak."

            "He's not that bad," I defended, turning around to look at the guy in question. He sat by himself at his lunch table, earphones popped into his ears and looking thoroughly alone as he stared at his phone. "He's actually really nice if you get to know him."

            "Look, Violet," Chloe began, "I know that you're friends and that he's your nei—"

            I glared at her, and her lips slammed together. She was the only one who knew Colton and I lived next-door to each other, and, selfish as that sounded; I wanted it to stay that way. "I mean," she stammered, hurrying to correct herself. "I know you're lab partners, but come on. He hates us just as much as we dislike him."

            "He doesn't hate you guys," I replied, which wasn't technically a lie. I mean, I didn't think he hated them. At least, he'd never told me that directly.

            Chloe threw me a dubious look. "Oh, really?"

            I threw my hands up exasperatedly. "Come on, guys! The worst he can do is reject the offer! What's the harm in asking him?"

            Only blank stares met mine, and I sighed. It wasn't like I couldn't understand where they were coming from, but it was still shallow. Just because he was an outsider, didn't mean he should be forbidden to sit here.

            "Fine," I said frostily, standing up and grabbing my tray. "If you guys won't let him come, I'll go to him."

            I spun around and walked towards Colton, who sat alone at his table. I heard Chloe yell out after me, but ignored her.

            I stood before him, but he seemed not to notice. He was staring intently at the screen, which looked like a radio. He seemed transfixed by the frequency lines, and I frowned.

            "I know that it's a bit crowded over here, but do you mind if I sit down?" I asked nervously, praying he wouldn't reject me. How embarrassing would that be in front of all of my friends?

            Colton's head snapped up suddenly, his blue eyes guarded, before his face broke into a welcoming grin. He pulled out the ear buds and let out a loud laugh. "Hey, V." He gestured to the empty table. "If you can find the room to sit, sure."