f i f t y - t h r e e

Antony awoke the next morning, the sunlight streaming into his bedroom seeming garishly bright in the face of the pounding headache he had. He groaned and forced himself to sit up, drowsily reaching for his shirt and slipping it over his head. He pulled on his boots and stood, going to the sideboard table in his parlor where someone, Fulton most likely, had placed his breakfast.

There was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" said Antony, wondering who would be at the door at this time of the morning.

The door opened and a man, probably about Antony's own age, stood in the entrance, his hands resting at his sides. He wore the clothing of a servant.

"Can I help you with something?" asked Antony, confused.

"My name is Parker, Sir," said the man, bowing his head respectfully. "I'm here on Princess Therese's orders."

Antony was momentarily confused, but his aunt's words soon came rushing back to him. She had told him that if he refused to find himself a manservant, she would take it upon herself to find one for him. Antony examined the man before him and decided that he seemed nice enough.

"I'm afraid I won't give you much to do," he told his new manservant.

"That's alright, Sir," said Parker. "If you don't mind my saying so...It would be a nice relief. I usually work in the stables, Sir."

"Rule number one, Parker," said Antony, after taking a sip of water from his goblet. "You don't need to call me 'Sir' every other sentence. Other than that, I believe we shall get on alright."

Parker smiled. "Thank you, Sir."

Antony rolled his eyes and turned back to his breakfast, while Parker crossed the parlor to the bedroom to make the bed.

After he finished eating, Antony went to the next room to see that Parker had finished making the bed and tidying up the floor. "Alright, Sir?" he asked.

Antony nodded, making a mental note that he would have to be careful not to give Therese the pleasure of knowing that he was actually enjoying having a manservant. "Wonderful, Parker," he said, aloud. "Thank you very much."

Parker nodded. "Is there anything else you have need of?"

"Nothing that comes to mind."

"Then I will take your breakfast dishes down to the kitchen. If you have need of me, you need simply to send for me. I will return this evening to assist you in getting ready for the winter gala." He bowed and left.

Antony sighed and crossed to the mirror in his dressing room, examining himself in it. He attempted to smooth his hair and straightened his shirt, putting on his belt. He splashed some cold water in his face and hoped he didn't look as horrible as he felt.

He left his bedroom and made his way downstairs. He nodded to Fulton as he passed and then continued on, past the throne room, past the portrait hall, past the library. Pausing before a huge door, he took a deep breath and steeled himself before pushing it open and continuing down the hallway, his footsteps echoing on stone. At the end of the hallway, he took a torch from its holder and opened a second door, descending a long flight of steps. At the bottom, he nodded to two guards, who each took hold of a handle and pulled the reinforced double doors open.

Stepping through, he continued on his way down another stone hallway and through another set of double doors.

The guard at the main entryway to the prison looked up from his desk and stood abruptly. "King Antony," he said, bowing. "You're here to see him, I assume?"