t w e l v e

Meredith had just finished dusting every portrait in the picture gallery, noting, with interest, that the current portraits of the Crown Prince and the Princess were painted at the time they were children. There would be new ones soon, she guessed.

She was walking back towards the scullery, when she turned the corner and ran into Fulton.

He studied her for a moment, before saying "You'll do. Put down that feather duster and those rags and follow me."

She obediently set down the materials in one of the workrooms and began to follow him down a hallway. She realized, with interest, that they were leaving behind any of the servants' quarters, workrooms, and the kitchens, and were making their way quickly towards the main staircase.

She entered the entrance hall to see a girl with long, waist-length blonde hair and expressive blue eyes walking slowly around, as if memorizing the layout of the hall.

"My Lady," said Fulton. "I am sure that..." He glanced at Meredith.

"Meredith," she said, quietly.

"...that Meredith would be glad to assist you. I will send a footman with the tools you have requested."

"Thank you, Fulton," said the lady, her voice lovely and clear. "You are dismissed."

Fulton bowed and left the hall. The lady turned to look at Meredith.

"Hello, Meredith," she finally said. "I am Princess Isabella. But please: do not call me 'Princess'. We shall be spending a good amount of time together today, and...I would prefer you to just call me Isabella." She smiled hopefully, even seeming a bit shy.

So this was the first member of the royal family that Meredith would meet. She felt conflicted. Isabella seemed so kind, so eager to make Meredith feel comfortable; she even insisted on her using her first name, no title attached. Something about her almost seemed to draw Meredith to her. She had never really found a real friend in a girl of her own age, of which this lady, this princess seemed to be. She pushed that thought away. It would be improper; this lady was high above her in social status and rank.

"I am Meredith, My Lady," she said, giving Isabella a slight curtsy.

Isabella seemed almost disappointed that Meredith had not used her first name, but soon smiled.

"My cousin told me there was a greenhouse here; I've always loved flowers," she explained. "I thought that, as I've heard it's been neglected, I might be able to tend to it. I requested that Fulton bring me someone to assist me in my efforts."

"Of course; I would be pleased to."

"Oh, wonderful!" said the Princess, smiling radiantly. "Let us go then."

The two made their way to the greenhouse, behind the palace, and met the footman who gave them tools and rough work-aprons to keep the dirt off.

Once in the greenhouse, they set to work pulling the weeds that had overgrown a great number of the plant beds and pots. After a while, Isabella spoke.

"How long have you worked here, Meredith?"

"I only just arrived yesterday," Meredith answered carefully. She frowned as she came across a stubborn weed.

"Have you enjoyed it, so far?"

"I have found it very pleasant, My L..." She broke off at Isabella's sad look. Perhaps this princess had not found a friend before, either. "Isabella."

Isabella smiled, and looked so happy that Meredith felt happy too. Was it really so wrong to chat with the princess, if she invited it? She didn't seem like the type of person who would have condoned the destroying of Meredith's home kingdom...