Chapter 2

[Johnny]

Boom boom boom!!! I hear fists pounding on my door. I know who's they are but I cant believe she really is going to drag me to church.

Boom boom!!

"John, you better open this door! I know you hear me!" My Memaw screams.

Well that kills the thought that she'd just go away eventually. I jump out of bed and walk downstairs to let her in.

"I bet you thought I was playing when I told you that I was coming over to get you. And boy why'd you get so many tattoos? Do you have skin under those?" She asks nagging like always.

"I did and I do Memaw," I say going up to my bathroom to shower to hurry and get this over with.

I get in the shower loathing those upcoming moments of anxiety and boredom. I've never been to church because my mother has never brought me. And that is reason alone to why I should not go. If church was not for my mother then why should I go?

I step out of the shower refreshed and brush my teeth. I cant go anywhere fonky no matter how bad I dont want to go. I go put on my white button up polo with some trus and my Sperrys. This should do.

I walk into the living room and grab my keys to leave.

"I know you must not be thinking your Memaw is going to ride with the speed demon himself, " she says walking to her car.

I sigh and walk to her car. This is going to be a long day.

"Honey I hope you now how much this can help you? I haven't ever even heard you utter a word about Jesus," Memaw says going in on me.

"Memaw I do speak about Jesus," I answer looking out the window.

"Boy, when?" She asks getting upset.

"I've made a rap about him," I answer chuckling.

"Oh really sweet heart? Let's hear it," she says smiling turning down her never ending gospel CD.

I know this isnt going to end well, but I start, " They say 'Love Jesus'and Listen to your pastor

But Jesus told the truth, and the pastor's a lying bastard.

All he talk about is economic elevation,

And all Jesus talked about was soul salvation.

Jesus sat with the sick and he walked with the poor,

If He gave blood for our sins, why we giving more?

I got some Gangster Disciples at church with me tonight,

With five dollars worth of gas, and a matchbook as light," before I could even finish Memaw punched me. Like dead punched me.

"Boy dont you have any respect?" She yelled at me.

"I do. My beef aint with Jesus, " I answer rubbing my arm a little. Shit kind of hurt.

"Hopefully you'll learn one day," she says turning her music back up.

We finally made it to church and a little late I might add because of me. But when we walk in I hear the sweetest voice I've ever heard singing the song I've heard my mama sing a few times.

Father can you hear me

Im praising you today

My Memaw automatically starts praising as we find our seats in the middle.

"That girl can sing," she waves her hands.

Father I know you hear me

There's no other today

I start to get lost into her beauty. Her caramel skin and big brown eyes. This girl screamed innocent, but I've never known innocence to look this perfect.

Faaaaathhheeeeeeeeeer

Can you hear me now?

The choir begins to sing with her making her talent shine over them.

Ffaaaaa-aatheeeerrrr

Can you hear me now?

He will

He will saaayyy Yeeessssssssss

Yeeee- eessss

I was almost out of my seat praising him myself until the music dies down and the pastor walks up. I immediately snap out of it and start to drown the pastor out.

He preached for a short time then I was out. I walked out to the parking lot on the side of the church to smoke a cigarette. At least it's on the side. I take a long filling drag of my cigarette until a small body bumps into me almost knocking the wind out of me.

I can still feel her staring intently at me, but I refuse to give any of these church people the time of day. But I still offer a nonchalant "Scuse me" so she can go her way.

"Are you seriously smoking that on the side of a church?"she asks laughingly. But I have no space for this annoying girls jokes.

"And if I am?" I answer giving her enough dose of vemon to make her leave.

"Well excuse me," she says giving me the same amount of poison right back. I didnt know no church person to snap like me except my Memaw.

I look up at her and see that it was the girl singing. I instantly feel terrible and stupid. I want to apologize but I know she won't stop to hear it. I grab her arm and say, "Im sorry. What was your name again?"

"I never told you my name," she answers back not seeming to care at all.

"Well can you tell me?" I ask trying to make her soften towards me.

"NO!" She says hard shocking me. But I don't give up. I have tricks up my sleeve.

"Well if you dont mind could I use your phone? I came here with someone and am finding a hard time to locate them," I ask knowing my plan is sure proof.

She just hands me her phone like she just wants me to go away. And I quickly call myself till my phone rings, hang up, and tell her that I'll call her later.