Chapter 8: Back and Forth

There were so many people gathered in the ballroom, putting Xara a little on edge. She resisted the urge to bolt out and return to her home in the Underneath. She was actually looking forward to dancing and interacting with people, but it was a bit overwhelming. Looking down, she clung to Romeo's arm to alleviate the anxiety creeping up inside her. Ellegaard laid a hand on her shoulder, beaming warmly in greeting, and assured her that everything would be okay. That was easier for her to say. Ellegaard might have been one to hole herself up in her Dome of Concentration with Olivia, but she didn't seem to mind socializing. Xara had been alone for so long, but she was also a bit more introverted than Romeo or Fred had been. Romeo, in fact, was the exact same as Ellegaard, but he seemed to have toned down his energy in recent months.

"Xara," Romeo took Xara out of her thoughts.

"What is it?" she asked, hiding her increasing discomfort.

"You're cutting off the circulation to my arm, love."

Xara loosened her grip, "Sorry..."

"Do you want to go home?"

Xara shut her eyes, "We just got here. I can't just do that. Ellegaard worked so hard on my hair, and I wanted to hang out with Binta."

"I'm sure they won't mind."

"No, I can do this. It's just like it was in the old days," she looked around warily, "I just need to get used to it."

Romeo looked across the room and spotted Binta sitting down at a table with two more seats reserved for Ellegaard and Soren.

"Why don't we start off by sitting down? They'll serve dinner before the dancing starts," he suggested.

Xara inhaled deeply, "Alright, that sounds easy enough."

On their way over to the table, Xara stumbled in her heels and clung to Romeo for dear life. It'd been far too long since she'd worn any, so she would have to get used to them as well. She was very embarrassed and hoped people weren't watching her too closely as Romeo helped her regain her footing. She sat down next to Binta in relief and laid her face on the table. Romeo made his way over and sat on her other side, amused at her unflattering experience. Xara was just relieved that she could make it over to the table in one piece, and she wasn't used to being so clumsy.

"Have a nice trip, Xara?" Binta asked, mischievously.

"Binta, don't do this to me," Xara sighed.

Binta pulled her into a sitting position, so she wouldn't get makeup on the table, "Are you alright?"

"No."

"I'm sorry for teasing you."

Xara smiled, "You're fine. I know you were joking. I just...I'm not used to making a fool of myself like that."

"Didn't Jesse mention that you screamed dramatically over losing your bed?" asked Romeo.

Xara gently elbowed him, "That's what happens when one is severely lacking in proper sleep, Romeo. I'm sure you wouldn't know how that feels like."

"Alright, alright, you've made your point. You always try to seem so manicured in front of people. You were like that even before we got our powers."

"That's how I am, and that's how I will continue to be."

"Who are you trying to impress with all this?"

"Who are you trying to impress with your over-the-top theatrics?" Xara countered.

"...Touché."

Xara traced her finger around an empty glass, "You know I've always been like that. It's just my personal taste. I don't feel comfortable falling over myself like that."