Chapter 10

I sit with Kili feeling nausea leaning closer to him trying to focus on his heart beat and not the fact I feel sick.

"Hey, you alright?" Kili asked softly

I close my eyes "Yeah, I'm alright."

I hear him inhale I guess ready to say something but stop when Bofur suddenly shouts "Watch out!"

The sudden movement of the barge causes a major pain to shoot through me. I grab tightly onto Kili.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin snapped at the Lakeman

"Are you alright Kai?" Kili whispers

"I think so."

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." He replies calmly

"Oh, I have enough of this lippy Lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him."

"His names Bard it's Bard" Bilbo tell him

"How do you know that?"

"Uh, I asked him."

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him," Dwalin tells Bilbo looking to Thorin

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him." Balin reminds him "Come on now, lads, turn out your pockets."

The dwarves begin pulling out their money and valuables.

"There's, um, just a problem: we're ten coins short." Balin remarks after counting the money

Thorin crossed his arm looking to Gloin "Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have."

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and-" Gloin stops talking as all the others have slowly stood up and are looking at something in the distance. Gloin turns around as the fog thins, they can see the Lonely Mountain. "Bless my beard. Take it. Take all of it."
Gloin hands Balin a sack of coins he had secretly withheld before.

Bilbo coughs and gestures his head toward Bard, who is approaching us from the end of the barge. "The money, quick, give it to me."

"We'll pay you when we get our provisions, but not before," Thorin tells him

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead." Bard says

They look off in the distance and see the roof of Lake-town and a guess tower. Blain hands Thorin the money which he gives to Bard.

"Quick in the barrels and stay quiet they must not hear a sound," Bard tell

The dwarves look at him for a moment then grumbled and we get in the barrels with Kili and me having to share one see how there were only 14 barrels now. we hear Bard hop off his barge.

"What's he doing?" I hear Dwalin asks

"He's talking to someone." Bilbo Remakes I'm guessing he can see Bard "And he's...pointing right at us! And now they're shaking hands."

"What?" Thorin asks shocked

"That villain! He's selling us out." Dwalin says

"You don't know that Dwalin, have some faith." I try to tell him

Suddenly, fish are poured into the barrel. Now we have to ride in Fish filled barrels. I can hear the others making a fuss about the fishes as we go down the water then I hear Bard kick one of the barrels. "Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate."

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please. Oh, it's you, Bard." A voice says

"Morning, Percy," Bard replies

"Anything to declare?" The man says

"Nothing, but that I am cold and tired, and ready for home."

"You and me both. Here we are. All in order."

"Not so fast. The consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman." A new voice says

"That's none of your business," Bard tells the man

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business."

"Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat!"

"These fish are illegal." he tells Bard "Empty the barrels over the side."

"You heard him. Into the canal. Come on, get a move on." Another voice says

Soon I can hear the sound of some fishes fall into the canal.

"Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce."

"That's not my problem."

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake, when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?"

"Stop." Alfrid shouted "Ever the people's champion, eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk? You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last."

"Raise the gate!" The gatekeeper shouts

And with that, we begin moving again

"The Master has his eye on you; you'd do well to remember. We know where you live." Alfrid shouts

"It's a small town, Alfrid; everyone knows where everyone lives."