New Home

Rose was shaking me.

When I finally snapped out of my memories, I looked up to see that Rose had a concerned look on her face.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

I figured she had already realized what was wrong. I gave her a weak smile, which had become my answer to such a question.

"That, huh." She asked, and a pained look crept onto her face.

For some reason, she thought she was to blame for what had happened to me. Even though I had tried to reassure her that it wasn't true, that it was our parents' faults, there seemed to be some kind of reason that she thought that. A reason, she just wouldn't tell me.

The first time this happened was because I had gotten lost in the market. It was when I had first gotten back home, things had changed so much and I couldn't find my way. At the end of the day, Rose had found me hunched up, eyes wild, with my hands clamped over my ears, and tears falling from my cheeks. She had had to shake me several times to snap me out of my episode.

*

*

*

" . . . -sy!" A voice called to me. Screaming voices rushed past my ears.

" . . . -ossy!!" It came again. Pain seared through my arm.

"Rosswin!!!" A female voice broke through my stupor. I launched myself forward. My hands tightened around the throat of a young girl.

A strangled cry ripped from her throat, and I squeezed tighter as she began to thrash around.

'I have to kill her!' I thought desperately, 'If I don't, they'll kill me!' 

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! You have to die!!"  I cried, my voice breaking as I apologized. "It's you or me!! I have to survive!!!"

"Rossy!" The girl gasped, her movements were slowing, this would be over soon. "You can't kill me! I'm your sister! You're supposed to protect me!"

The cobbles of the street appeared in my view. Instead of the dirty, malnourished, and scantily clad girl who was there before, it was now my sister who was at my mercy.

"No!" I screamed in her face, the dirty girl appeared once again. "You're not her! You're not her!!"

"You're lying! You're lying!! You just don't want to die!!" I cried, but more and more the girl beneath me resembled my sister and my hands loosened. "It's not real! You aren't her!!!!"

Her face flushed as I let go. I surged backwards, delusion and reality were warring inside my head. It hurt! It hurts!! It felt like my head was being split open. I slammed my head into the ground, and felt my brain rattle in my skull. The world spun and vomit leapt into my throat. 

As my vision cleared I saw the cobbles of the market around me. I looked to my left, and I saw my dear sister. Her neck was reddening and though she was watching me carefully, probably in preparation for another attack, she didn't seem afraid of me.

"I am so sorry!" I apologized immediately. I rushed forward and to my surprise, she didn't pull away. 

"Walls Almighty!! Look at what I've done to you!!" I cried, guilt filled my head and my heart clenched. "I'm so, so sorry. I wasn't in control of myself."

"Come on," She prompted, not addressing what I'd done. She stood and brushed the dirt off of her skirt. "It's time for dinner, we have to go home."