Part Three · Epigraph / Chap 053 · Ice in the Eyes

Part Three

“Creation ensued life; life, ideas; ideas, facts; facts, confusion. Each realization produced a new thought; each thought, a new story; each story, a new creation. The living ones, lords of the new life, believed they knew the truth: there had been a beginning, there would be an end. Thus the way to meet the frontierless creator became long and painful.”

The Kar-Akal of the Atsahs

53 · Ice in the eyes

HE OPENED the door, one of the many in the huge ship that was carrying them to the surface of the Moon; Dotia was the name painted with Selenite characters on the shining body of the space transportation. The trip from Earth up to the Jagat space station, done within a terrestrial ship, had happened without real issues, although the chief-nurse’s hysterical fit has become the favourite joke. Ibrahim was sorry having little to do to help her keep calm, but he did his best to keep his peers from bothering her much more than needed.

The transfer to Dotia was easy and uneventful; the prisoners looked at their new guards with distrust but proved to be in control of their moods. The Terrestrial soldiers working for the 11th troop went back home without reaching Luna; Lunar authorities took the duty of keeping the “delivery” unperturbed.

Ibrahim thought it funny the first time he heard the comparison; now, close to the elongated grey-skinned creatures he would not surely overstate it enough: the Selenite seemed like angels.

The speakers announced they would enter Lunar airspace in few minutes. All should fasten their four-point belts and expect for a bumpy ride.

The occupants of the ship fell into a sepulchral stillness. None seemed eager to even risk a whisper to their seat neighbours.

The Selenite flight attendant approached Ibrahim and spoke in a peaceful manner.

“Please, take your seat and fasten your belt.”

Ibrahim smiled and she smiled back.

His life would be re-written, once again. This time he had plans to be in total control of this new version of himself; he would not permit others to tell his own tale. This time, all would be silent as the passengers of that flight, paying attention to every word, while he, owner of his own destiny, would guide them through the amazing narrative he would produce.

Ibrahim Mousmée was ready to reinvent himself.