Lunatics · Chap 059 · Tears like rain

"NOT TAKING your tea, Darling?"

Dona Joseffina's voice carried a world of preoccupation and that made Satine feel angrier still. From afar, a sound of thunder reminded them the rain had not ceased.

"You ought to eat, Satine. For you and the coming child!

If she believed taking the ta would prevent the pious tone on the extremely zealous sentences, Satine Faia would drink gallons of the damned hot water and coloured with a ghastly hue of greenish-yellow and a taste that reminded her of the bittersweet smell of her father's dirty socks.

She had wasted her childhood doing misdeeds and having to hide under the bed of her parents to avoid a deserved whipping. When Hernando had already arrived back home from work, the damned socks were there, plastered inside his shoes, impregnating the constrained tiny space among the thick creases of the arraiolo embroidery quilt.

She used to eavesdrop her parents' small talk.

Her mother laments for not having a daughter more interested in her dolls collection than throwing stones on the children of their friends. Dona Joseffina complained and screamed in a semi-hysterical state.

Hernando invented excuses, she herself considered foolish and utterly phoney, trying to justify her misbehaviour.

Her parents never discovered her there, under their bed but she brought that pungent smell deeply infused in her soul.

"Just a sip, dear!"

She could believe it was her mother's revenge.

"Not hungry, mother..."

Her tears flowing like the raindrops on the windowpanes, Satine had her face swollen and reddened.

"You need it, Darling. A sole biscuit..."

Shouln't have done that to Marcus. Satine always felt horrible after her fits of jealousy. The military coup was the perfect explanation for his silence. Three hours after their last meeting, the news of the fall of João Campos were everywhere: the radio stations, the blogs, the newsreels, the video channels, the international sites, and every paper around the globe.

Marcus must have been in the middle of a storm. The rain fell outside and the thunders seemed to reproach her words to the man she loved.

João Campos has never been a cherished public person. He was a politician who knew what to do. The coup put down a legitimate government, a president elected by the people. Satine did not like the military move but worried more about Marcus' well-being than the problems of the nation.

She had been unfair. Marcus had always been faithful to her. She was sure.

She had awakened alone at Marcus apartment. She became furious. So enraged she did not even tried to contact his personal communicator. After hours of fighting with her own pride, she decided to call him just to discover he was at the Suzano Airport. She knew it; she worked there and had recognized Marcia's voice through the speakers. She fretted just to consider Marcus having a fortuitous meeting, after spending the night together.

The coup explained it all and the tears did not stop falling since then. It did not matter if Marcus was part of a spurious taking of a legitimate government. He was her man, her lover, the father of her unborn child.

"Where he might be, mother?"

Dona Joseffina embraced her while Satine sobbed dreadfully.

"Oh, darling, darling!"

She cried on the lap of her mother but could not think of loving the woman who spent life hating her daughter, considering her a nuisance, a competition to Hernando's love and care. She almost felt angry for the little Duran, the tiny sketch of life she carried in her belly. Don't feel the same, don't do it, you stupid! You're not your mother! Duran is a part of Marcus, my beloved! Not a waste of time, not an enemy to be kept aside. And she cried more, and hated to be doing it while Dona Joseffina embraced her.

A stronger rush of Wind broke over the window, making it give way and snap loudly. The drops fell like the tiny pebbles she used to throw on her childhood enemies.

The intercom rang and she heard her father's voice. Soon, there was another man's voice. Both voices came muffled with the sound of the returned rain.

Satine stretched her neck and the universe was lit with the image of Hernando Faia pushing Marcus Mondrian into the her room.

Marcus was trying to dry his own hair with a towel her father must have furnished. Hernando called for Doan Joseffina, and soon the young couple was left alone. Hernando closed the door behind him.

"Ça va, cherie?"

It was like a balm to her soul. Somewhere nearby, an ambulance crossed the streets screaming someone needed immediate care. Satine felt fragile, not sure if she herself, or her beloved needed immediate attention. Perhaps both. She wanted to cover him with kisses and to be kissed back, maybe even hurt him with some extreme caresses. He belonged to her. Only her.

She cried.

"I love you."

Her eyes let teardrops escape like waterfalls.

"Satine... I..."

"I love you, Marcus!"

"What do I do with you, my dear?"

She did not care to sound ridiculous. Her words were as true as the tears that soaked his face and clothes.

"Love me. I'm nothing without you."

Marcus started crying, convulsively. The hero was made of flesh and blood. Satine felt relieved and loved him more.

She had both her loves within her grasp and she intended to keep them like that, under their protection. She needed be strong and she would fight to keep Marcus and Duran beside her. Forever. She had a lifetime to nurture and love her child as she had never been loved or taken care.

Her love was immense. She felt as if she could give life to a new entire world. She would be the only mother Duran would need. The only woman Marcus might desire.

A new thunder sounded in the distance and Satine, crying tears as thick as warm raindrops, wanted to believe it was the voice of the gods stating she was right.